Which laser is best for me? or at least few that should be recommended for me by a doctor.

Hi I am a middle eastern girl with olive skin and black hair. I would like to do laser for my underarms and bikini area. I read allot about laser but I still don't know which laser is best for me? how to choose a clinic? and what are the regular prices?

Best LASER for Middle Eastern Skin

There are a variety of lasers which can be used for Middle Eastern Skin.  It is important  to chose a laser clinic with physicians and staff who work with ethnic skin as the margin of safety is much lower than with lighter skin types with thinner hair.  

Both newer diode lasers (with advanced cooling) as well as Nd:yag lasers (with cooling) are possible treatment options offering good results with the right settings. Alexandrite lasers will not be as effective for Middle Eastern Hair/Skin combination.  

The advantage of the Diode is that it typically represents more efficient hair removal in less sessions.  Advanced diodes with cooling tend to be safer for Middle Eastern patients.  Nd:YAG lasers tend to not be as efficient as Diode lasers and require multiple sessions, sometimes 5 to 6 more.  The combination of laser therapy can be helpful for some patients using Diode initially and then when the hair characteristics  change treating with Nd:YAG if necessary later on.  

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser hair removal

Dear Balkis,

Generally, Middle Eastern patients with olive complected skin and black hair get very good permanent reduction of hair in the underarms and bikini. What is the right laser usually depends on the clinic. Be very careful when selecting your clinic because many clinics, particularly in the Toronto area, are not overseen by a physician and technicians may be of limited knowledge. In general, you’ll find that almost all clinics would recommend an Nd YAG 1064 nm wavelength laser for dark skin and dark hair. This will give a good permanent reduction after four to six sessions. It’s important to treat the hair during growth cycle so multiple treatments will be necessary to access those hair bulbs and follicles that are sleeping and must enter to growing phase to ensure an adequate terminal laser injury to dividing cells.

The melanin in your skin will act as an absorbing chromophore and compete with the melanin in the hair shafts, so very aggressive wave lengths of light such as 755 nm Alexandrite even with extensive cooling and long pulse duration may be too aggressive for your olive complected skin. However, I would always select a clinic that has years and years of laser hair removal experience and multiple lasers to offer you the best possible permanent reduction.

At my centre we do combine the Alexandrite in the same pulse form as the Nd YAG and optimize the Nd YAG wavelength and provide a modicum of Alexandrite energy to get the best possible permanent reduction in darker skin patients with dark hair. I have found that after six treatments using two or three different lasers and wavelengths we achieve the best possible permanent reduction. Mediterranean skin will often respond to even an 810 nm, a diode laser with long pulse duration and very strong cooling.

I have eight or nine laser systems that I apply, three or four of which are very successful on Mediterranean, Persian, Middle Eastern, Asian and south east Indian skin. Dark skin hair removal requires multiple wavelengths and a lot of experience to ensure that you have a physician, medical director that is overseeing the protocols and that the technicians have direct access to that physician who is on site and have experience in treating dark skin individuals.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and best of luck.

For more information, please review the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Laser Hair Removal

Thank you for your question about laser hair removal.

The YAG 1064 laser is safe to use on all skin types. Prices for laser hair removal can vary from different offices. 

To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

YAG

In our office we use the YAG technology.  It is safer for darker skin types.  Choose a clinic that has an on-site Physician.  Prices vary by office and geographic location.  Lowest price is not always the best service.  Meet the technician and go with who you are comfortable with.

Terri Morris, MD, PhD
Fredericksburg Dermatologist

Safest laser for darker skin is 1064 YAG for hair removal

You can always use the 1064 YAG on darker skin types safely. You should go to a clinic that has a doctor or nurse using the laser. Don't go to cheapest because you can have burns from this procedure. Price varies according to region and the laser operator.

Steven F. Weiner, MD