I had CoolSculpting done 2 weeks ago but I am gaining weight. Why? should I cancel the following treatments?

I had CoolSculpting done 2 weeks ago. I know the results can take two to four months but I feel bloated and bigger than before I had treatment on my stomach . My weight is going on the scale everyday even though I have been very careful with my diet. I am starting to worry. is this normal? and what can I do about it? I know my doctor will disapprove if I tell him. I have been following his advise for last 5 years with no result. I hope I can get an answer other than consult your doctor.

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to tell without examining you. If you are gaining weight weeks after your procedure without a known cause, I would recommend speaking to your physician. Regards, 

Hi and sorry to hear about your problems. I would recommend that you see your primary care physician as weight gain following coolsculpting is not common. Good luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting

Dear reemtaher,

CoolSculpting works for the mechanism hypothermal exposure. Five degrees Celsius temperature results in a reasonably non-inflammatory death of the fat cells over 6 weeks. There can certainly be temporary swelling and edema, bruising as well as moderate to severe numbness. It has been our experience having used CoolSculpting for several years that there is a period of swelling that can distress patients. I have found that combining suction coupled radio frequency energy devices such as the VelaShape, the BodyFX or even endermology Venus Freeze or Exilis can rid the body of some of the edema and swelling. Continue to watch your weight, exercise, drink plenty of fluids and look for some tissue mobilization technologies to treat on your abdomen once a week for 6 weeks.

I’m sure you’ll end up with an excellent result and best of luck.

To find out more, please visit the link below. I would also check out the areas on BodyFX, VelaShape III and Venus Freeze.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Gaining Weight after Coolsculpting

If you feel that you are gaining eight I suggest that you seek a consultation with a medical doctor to determine if there is an underlying cause for your weight gain.  Best, Dr. Green