I have a bright red itchy burning rash that developed 3 days post op BA surgery. What could this be? (Photo)

It hasn't changed much in two days (I'm 4 days post op) but certainly isn't getting better. It doesn't involve my incision and I don't think there was ever tape there. The only thing that's been there is the bandeau strap. Getting nervous. Surgery clinic nurse is recommending oral antihistamines. Just wondering other opinions. Thank you kindly. Opinions pls.

Rash post-BA

The photo appears to be of your left under-arm area, therefore should we assume that the problem is on both sides? For now I will assume that it is bilateral.

The rash is probably self limiting and should resolve spontaneously. Until your doctor can see it you should either wear a protective fabric layer beneath your bandeau to protect the skin or with your doctor's approval, discontinue the bandeau for a few days.

It could be caused by the bandeau if the fit is tight and creating pinching in your under-arm with shoulder movement. If it is due to a contact sensitivity to the materials in the bandeau, the rash would predictably be present on your chest and back as well. 

To relieve the burning and itching you might begin with a thorough cleansing of the area with warm water and mild soap in case there is a contact reaction to a skin preparation solution used at the time of your surgery. Refrain from using deodorant temporarily - this could further irritate.

A topical hydrocortisone cream should be helpful and I would certainly recommend that you have your doctor check this when that is convenient.

Rash post-BA

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Rash post Breast Augmentation

Hello and thanks so much for your question and photos. It does appear that you`re having a reaction and it`s in your best interest to visit your surgeons office and they will gladly address your concerns.  All the best!!

Rash post Breast Augmentation

Bright red, itchy rash

Dear BActually,

Thank you for your question. It is best to have an in person evaluation with your operating surgeon in order to determine what may be causing your rash/ how to treat it. It appears your skin is very irritated, and an oral antihistamine is a good place to start. Follow up with your surgeon in person to make sure you are treating it correctly. I wish you the best of luck! 

Bright red, itchy rash

Dear BActually,

I have a bright red itchy burning rash that developed 3 days post op BA surgery. What could this be?

Based on the appearance and distribution the rash is most likely a contact dermatitis caused by the bandeau.  A combination of antihistamines and topical hydrocortisone cream may be your best option.  Follow with an examination by your surgeon.

Irritation?

Looks like an allergic reaction?  Anti-histamine seems like a good first step.  It doesn't look like a bruise or infection.  Best be in touch w your doctor's office

Irritation?

Post operative rash

I agree with Dr. Aldo that an in person exam would be best.  If you have a latex allergy the bandeau could be irritating your skin as well.  Sometimes garments with elastic will have very small amounts of latex in the elastic which can cause irritation in people with extreme latex sensitivity.  I have seen it but it is rare.

Post operative rash

Hello BActually.

There's no way to make a diagnosis online. I suspect this is a form of bruising. However, it is better to have an in-person examination with your plastic surgeon for an appropriate diagnosis.

Best wishes, Dr. ALDO :)

Hello BActually.

Best wishes, Dr. ALDO :)