Breast Lift to correct shape without Implants. (photos)

I have been considering a breast lift, but do not want implants. I am 43, no pregnancies. My breasts were shaped like this since puberty. I think they are tuberous. When it's cold, their shape is better as the areola contracts. Can they be lifted for a more perky look with a benelli lift? I am OK being smallish. I tried to tape them to see what they could be potentially, if that look could be achieved at all , I would be more than happy, but I realize that results may be different in reality.

Candidate for a BL

The key to success lies in letting you surgeon know specifically what you would like to look like following the surgery. For example, how perky do you want to be, what shape do you want to have, etc.? However from your description it would appear that a lollipop type lift would be best for you rather than a periareolar lift like the Benelli procedure. Here is a rule of thumb that works for most patients. If you nipple is above your lower breast crease then often a periareolar lift will be sufficient for most patients. If your nipple is at or below your crease then a vertical lift (lollipop lift), inverted T or anchor pattern may be required. The Lollipop incision for Grade 3 or 4 ptosis (areolar near or below your breast crease) works best in my hands and the use of a Lollipop technique can lift your breast to the perkiness you desire. However, other plastic surgeons are more comfortable with an inverted T or Anchor Pattern technique.The donut lift does tend to both flatten and have scars widened as you are removing skin around the areola which causes tension in that single area causing it to "spring' apart over time. With the Lollipop incision the tension is spread out over a greater distance of the lower vertical scar (where the areola once was) causing less tension on the areola and entire closure. The vertical lift tends to cone the breast making it more shapely (conical) and less flat. For a visual take a paper circle, cut out a small wedge on the bottom and bring the edges together to see this effect. In general I would pick the best Surgeon and explain fully what you want to achieve rather than the technique. Always choose a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Breast Lift to correct shape without Implants.

Thank you for your question.  Yes a breast lift alone can give you a nice result.  Hopefully only a periareolar incision will be needed.  Be sure to consult an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who does a lot of breast surgery.  For more information please read below:

Great result with just a breast lift

• I think that you could have a beautiful result with just a lift.  You appear to have good tissue quality and upper pole fullness.  The goal of the lift would be to reposition your volume and lift the breast.  You should expect a really nice breast lift result.
  • The choice of an implant is really based on whether you want larger breasts.  If you are happy with your breast size when wearing a non-pushup bra, then I think you are wise to just have a lift.
  • I don't see obvious tuberous breast deformity on the photos alone, but a consultation is required to know for sure. From the photos a potential for some lower breast underdevelopment is possible.
  • I would be happy to see you in person for a consultation should you wish.
  • Dr Rodger Shortt is a plastic surgeon in Oakville.  He is the Director of the Cosmetic Surgery Training Program and an Assistant Clinical Professor at McMaster University.  He strives to provide the best possible plastic surgery results and excellent care to patients from the GTA including Oakville, Toronto, Mississauga, Georgetown, Milton, Burlington and Hamilton.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

You state that your breasts look better when the areola is contractedThis effect can be achieved with a circum-areolar skin reduction,however you will have a scar around the areola

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift

Hi Nature Lover,I attached a video below to help you sort this out.  Be sure to see an experienced BC PS.  I believe you would need to pick exactly what type of lift you both decide on.  I believe, from you photos, you have realistic expectations.  There are many superb PS in Toronto!  All the best, Dr. Joe

So a couple of things...

1. You definitely don't have tuberous breasts or constricted breasts.  You actually have really nice breasts that have some asymmetry, but nothing devastating from a plastic surgery standpoint.2. That being said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I don't know of many people that couldn't have SOME improvement in their breasts- someway or somehow.  If you want your nipples smaller and up higher and more symmetric, then you are a candidate for breast lift.3. I do not like the Benelli lift for "lifting"- it flattens your breast at the most projecting part (the nipple area).  I think you would do best with a circumvertical lift.  It will be more powerful and after scar fades, will look the very best,-JGH

Breast lift

I do not think that you would benefit from a  breast lift based upon your photos. Implants might be a good idea to give a bit more fullness.

Correcting Breast Shape without Implants

Good morning. Thank you for your question and informative photographs.As always a final decision will need to be made in person along with your chosen plastic surgeon. Arm position and many other factors can impact the appearance of photos.That being said, I would argue that you do not have tuberous or constricted breasts. You have a very normal breast shape with a small amount of glandular ptosis (your breast tissue is a little bit more full, below your nipple in the side view).Reshaping is possible with a breast lift but you would need to think long and hard about the necessary scars. A Benelli style lift would decrease the size of the areola but can tend to flatten the breasts in side view. It would have little effect on the glandular ptosis.A Circum-Vertical Lift with a lollipop scar could accomplish most of what you are asking for but the scar is more significant.From a technical standpoint you are a good candidate for an implant without a lift - but only if that is a look and technique you are comfortable with.You've given this a lot of careful consideration. Now's a good time to seek out board certified plastic surgeons you are comfortable with and put these questions to them in person.Best of luck in your search.Take care. Dr Nodwell

Trefor Nodwell, MD
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a breast lift.  This can result in improved shape and contour of your breasts.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast lift

You do not appear to have tuberous breasts. I do not feel you would benefit much at all from any type of breast lift as it would leave you with scars that would likely not be worth the change in your breast shape. There are limitations of the Benelli lift in your case- it can cause areolar widening. Consult with a few plastic surgeons in person for an exam and review of your goals.Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD