Should I have asked for an areola reduction along with my gynecomastia correction or should my surgeon have recommended it?

i just had the procedure done 5 days ago. Both of my nipples were puffy, the one on the right was larger than the left one. Right after surgery and the for the next couple of days, I noticed that my nipples were smaller but I have a more excess tissue on the right nipple than I do on the left. I have a feeling that once completely healed, my nipples will look odd. My follow up is in 2 days. should I ask for an areola reduction of correction then?

Areola reduction

Dear ivanox18,

Thank you for your clinical post. After gynecomastia surgery typically liposuction or energy-assisted liposuction such as SmartLipo and BodyTite with or without glandular excision there is a period of swelling and edema. The swollen tissues will make the areolar and nipple complex look larger. Over time the swelling will resolve and soft tissues will contract and you may find that you end up with appropriate size nipple areolar complex. The scars when you have an areolar reduction or nipple reduction could be significant, not to mention sensory abnormalities. So, if in the opinion of your surgeon you didn't require a nipple areolar reduction it is best to confer with your operating surgeon to follow the post-operative course and allow the soft tissue of your chest region to settle. Over time you may find that the balance and proportion of the nipple areolar complex to your new chest wall is appropriate and you will have avoided further surgery or scar tissue and numbness.

Visit with your operative surgeon and seek out their counsel and advice as they are in the best position to provide expert opinion as they performed the surgery.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and best of luck.

For more information, please review the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

Areola reduction with gynecomastia

Thank you for your question. With most gynecomastia procedures, after the swelling goes down the skin contracts. This skin contraction includes the areola and they get smaller. This process can take a few months, I would discuss your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon and continue to follow-up with him/her until the healing process is complete. Small touch-ups are always possible but usually not necessary. Wishing you the best.

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Possibly Puffy Nipple Areola Complex

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance. Also, men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.