Adipose hyperplasia - CoolSculpting.

Why are practitioners of coolsculpting not reporting this rare side affect.

CoolSculpting Side Effects - Paradoxical Adipose Hyperplasia (PAH)

PAH, or Paradoxical Adipose Hyperplasia, is a rare situation in which adipose tissue (in this case fatty tissue) actually increases at the treatment location, rather than decreasing as desired. According to Zeltiq (the makers of CoolSculpting), the reported incidence of this condition is ~0.02% (1 in 5000). This is certainly a rare occurrence; however, your physician should review the potential side effects with you before your procedure. You should consider all side effects before deciding whether CoolSculpting is right for you. 

Note that PAH is extremely rare and CoolSculpting remains one of the best options for safe and effective non-surgical body sculpting. Also, if PAH does occur, it can usually be resolved with liposuction.

Oak Brook Physician

Coolsculpting Adipose Paradoxical Hyperplasia

this is reported as a rare side effect.  I treat this with liposuction for patients that have come to me with this rare condition.  Best, Dr. Emer.

PAH following Cool Sculpting

If you are at a reputable medical practice for Cool Sculpting this is indeed discussed with each and every client that goes forward with Cool Sculpting. It is clearly on our consent form and should be at any practice. If you sought a consultation and they didn't even discuss it or have it on their consent form for you to review I question their program. Seek a reputable practice. Indeed if it occurs my practice reports every occurrence to the Zeltiq company always. Hope that helps. 

John K. Wakelin III, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Paradoxic Adipose Hyperplasia

This is an exceedingly rare complication. While I have fortunately never seen this reaction, we inform all of our Coolsculpting patients that this could occur.  Should it happen, the treatment is liposuction, and Zeltiq will help with this if reported. 

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Paradoxical Adipose Hyperplasia

Paradoxical adipose hyperplasia has been reported with a low incidence in the medical literature.  As a practice who performs CoolSculpting, we have been including this as part of the informed consent process and on our forms.  

Jason D. Bloom, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon