I am not exactly sure how to ask this so I'll just ask. Does it look like I have gynecomastia? (photos)

I will post some pictures of myself. Granted I am not the skinniest of guys around but I feel my pecks are larger then most even for guys my size. I am hoping to get some input as to what it may be. I have always been uncomfortable taking off my shirt around others. I have done some research but never spoken to a doctor about it. Any and all help is great appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Doctor Answers 16

I am not exactly sure how to ask this so I'll just ask. Does it look like I have gynecomastia?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction may also be helpful.
My best suggestion: get into the "shape" you want to be physically. Then if your chest wall is still of concern, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with.
You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best

San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,460 reviews

About Gynecomastia and the Treatment Options

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.  According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast #enlargement.

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. 
The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate. 

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 106 reviews

Candidate for Gynecomastia removal

Who is a candidate for Male Breast Reduction?
Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed.
Intended ResultPermanent reduction of unwanted volume and improvement in the contour and appearance of the male chest.
Procedure descriptionThere are varying degrees of gynecomastia ranging from puffy nipple to severe breast enlargement and/or breast sag. The severity of the gynecomastia will determine which treatment option is necessary. In most cases, men suffer from standard gynecomastia, which can be surgically treated as an in-office procedure under local anesthesia. For more severe cases, it may be recommended that you have your procedure under general anesthesia at an outpatient surgery center. Your consultation will determine which option is best suited for treating your gynecomastia.
It is important to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine if you really are a candidate. From your pictures it seems like you could be a candidate for gynecomastia surgery but you should really meet with a surgeon to know for sure. I have attached a link to help you choose the best surgeon for you!


Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 150 reviews

Your chest

Thank you for the photos.  Excess tissue on the chest can be gland or fat (or skin).  Thus, I can't really tell from the picture.  You should see an experienced gynecomastia surgeon.  More common questions are answered in the attached video.

Tim Neavin, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Gynecomastia candidate

You are a fantastic candidate. To have optimal results you should have a combination of direct excision of your glands and liposuction contouring. We perform this procedure regularly and located in your neighborhood. Please make a consultation to get more information and take advantage of our winter special. 

Arian Mowlavi, MD
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

Can my breasts be reduced-from gynecomastia?

Yes, gynecomastia can be treated either by liposuction alone and or combined with excision the breast tissue. It is a very common problem in men that I see and the results are usually satisfying. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

I am not exactly sure how to ask this so I'll just ask. Does it look like I have gynecomastia?

I appreciate your question.

From your photos, difficult to comment.  The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 82 reviews


From your photos it does appear that you have gynecomastia.  The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon near you.  Best to you!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 59 reviews

I am not exactly sure how to ask this so I'll just ask. Does it look like I have gynecomastia? (photos)

Without examining you I cant be entirely sure but it does appear as though you have some enlargement of the chest. Whether it is true gynecomastia with actual breast gland present can only be determined in person through physical exam. The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon near you. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 28 reviews


Thank you for your question.  From your photos it does appear that you have gynecomastia.  It would require an examination to determine how much of the breast is fat vs breast tissue.  Fatty tissue can be removed by any method of liposuction (traditional, VASER, PAL, etc)  Breast tissue will need to be surgically excised and in skilled hands this can be done through a small 1/2" incision along the bottom edge of your areola in combintuion with liposuction.  You should have a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has the experience to do your surgery through these small incisions. 

Lars Enevoldsen, MD
Modesto Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.