Am I a candidate for a tummy tuck? Ideal surgery weight? (Photo)

I am currently 200lbs at 5'4. I have a large mother's apron. I lost ~65lbs in an eight month period earlier this year. Would I benefit from a tummy tuck at my current weight? What would an ideal weight be?

Weight loss before Tummy Tuck

If you lose more weight prior to a tummy tuck you will have a better cosmetic result and fewer complications. Congratulations on your current weight loss. A tummy tuck will remove all the skin from your belly button to your pubic area. Consult with a few plastic surgeons for an exam and a review of your medical history.

Dr.Bruno

Tummy tuck

Congratulations on your weight loss.  I think you would benefit greatly from a tummy tuck at this point.  Sure, it would be nice to lose a little more weight before surgery if possible, but I know that's easier said than done.  More importantly, however, is not to gain weight after a tummy tuck.  I find that is the number one source of disappointment after a tummy tuck.   Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

At what weight do I need to be to have a TT(Tummy tuck)?

There is no ideal weight that you need to be at for a TT. It just depends on if you have excess skin which you do have. I normally do extensive liposuction in the area to remove the fat at same time as TT.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for a tummy tuck? Ideal surgery weight?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment.  Based on your photographs, I think that you are close to being ready to proceed.

Generally speaking, always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.

Also generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and (again) has reached a long-term stable weight. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Tummy Tuck and Ideal Weight

When evaluating someone for tummy tuck we use an calculation called BMI, which stands for body mass index. Complications correlate with BMI meaning the higher the value the more likely you are to have a complication from your procedure. Ideally you would be below 28 you are currently 34.

I have to say your photos are not consistent with that BMI and I would recommend a formal consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

I would still encourage further weight loss prior to surgery but I would begin the consultation process now to help prepare you for the procedure.

Best of luck and I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck for me?

Provided you're generally healthy, a non-smoker, and don't plan future pregnancy, yes, your body (extra loose abdominal skin and fat) will be improved by well planned and executed abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).  Maintaining healthy body weight after the procedure is important.  The quickest way to destroy a great result (and a great looking body) is weight gain.

Steve Laverson, MD

#TummyTuck

Ariana,

At your weight and height, your calculated BMI is 34. Over 30 is considered obese.  While you could definitely undergo surgery to improve your appearance, my recommendation would be to lose more weight before you undergo surgery. Once you have the surgery, if you continue to lose weight it will take away from the improvement so you want to lose the weight before surgery.

Keep up the good work!

Dr. Daniel Barrett
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Beverly Hills, CA

Daniel Barrett, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Tummy Tuck It

You're definitely a candidate for a tummy tuck as long as your examination is consistent with your photos. The other option is laser liposuction but this won't remove your extra skin. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Date for a tummy tuck? Ideal surgery weight? (Photo)

From the posted photos, you will be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery. 
Your BMI is ~ 34. For optimal outcome, an ideal candidate should be closer to a BMI of 29-30. You are probably 30 lbs far off from your ideal weight. 

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS, FACS

Based on your photos, but without an examination, you appear to be a reasonable candidate, but it is difficult to tell whether you are a good candidate without a physical examination and complete medical history. It would depend on your anatomical findings, motivation, realistic expectations, and whether you are finished having children. An abdominoplasty (“tummy tuck”) should be delayed until you have finished all of your pregnancies.

Weight within 10 pounds of your ideal should not have any effect on your long term results.

If a member of my family underwent this procedure, it would be performed by an experienced plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) . If you are serious about undergoing a tummy tuck, you should have a thorough consultation with a plastic surgeon having those credentials, who will fully explain what is entailed in the procedures, including both the positives and potential problems. You should be complimented on your weight loss and the fact that you are seeking valid information before jumping into any procedure.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon