Should I switch to silicone?

I had surgery on my left breast due to saline leackage this past June and now another leackage has began in the same breast. My doctor is out of the office till Monday I'm feeling scared since it's only been a few months from surgery . What should I do?

Leaking saline implants

This has nothing to do with your body and the implants are under warrenty.  I know it's tough, but the best thing to do is replace the implant. Please have them send the deflated implant back to be examined.

Talmage Raine MD

drraine.com

Early Saline Deflation

Although rare, it is possible. Be sure your surgeon is an ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon. Sounds like you'll be needing a surgery whether you like it or not; I think it's time to join the 21st century and get silicone gel implants. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Should I switch to silicone after saline deflations?

I am sorry to hear about the complications you experienced. I think that most patients in your situation would likely switch to silicone gel breast implants.  Ultimately, it will be a personal decision that only you can make it, after careful consideration of pros/cons (with the help of your plastic surgeon). Best wishes.

Breast leakage.

best to call your doctor.  you may want to go with gel implants.  they last longer and are more natural and better.   make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Which Implant is Better Saline or Silicone?

Hi Gogo,

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry that you have had to go through two surgeries for saline implants becoming deflated. It certainly carries a higher risk of deflation than regular silicone implants. Switching between saline and silicone of course is a personal choice however I routinely place silicone implants. They have a less likely chance of rupturing. They feel more natural, and tend to ripple less. However, they do cost more. After saline implants, they cost last they can be overfilled, and they can be adjusted to do just about any size differences. But they do have a higher chance of rippling and do feel more firm. I would certainly favor switching to silicone implants as if they had ruptured you would likely not have had to to need Two revisions by now. Good luck.

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

Board-certified plastic surgeon

#SiliconeImplants

Should I switch to silicone

Most patients who come to me will switch to silicone.  It's a personal choice, but you generally get much more longevity out of silicone implants because they don't have a fill valve that can fail.  Discuss this with a PS.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Should I switch to silicone?

Silicone is a great choice. All implants have rupture rates and it seems that you were just unlucky to have two of them so close to one another. There are advantages and disadvantages to silicone that you really should discuss with your surgeon. I could talk on that topic forever here. But, I put mostly silicone into all of my patients because I feel they are a far superior feel long term. You certainly could have that done this time as well. I do not know a thing about how think you tissues are or the quality of your skin. Those are the factors that I consider when I tell a patient that they are a good or bad candidate for certain implants. 

Sincerely,

DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

Breast implants changing saline to silicone

Saline and Silicone implants

Both Saline and Silicone breast prostheses (implants) are the best means now available to enlarge the breast through surgery.  The saline implants (silastic bags filled with physiologic salt water) are placed either behind the pectoralis major muscle and breast tissue or in front of the muscle. Your plastic surgeon will determine which placement is best for you, although common guidelines suggest that women with minimal breast tissue should have the implant placed beneath the pectoralis muscle for more soft tissue padding and above the muscle in women with larger drooping (ptosis) breasts that do not want a breast lift

A Breast Augmentation with a saline implant can be placed through an incision 1 ½” to 2” long placed in one of four locations: under the breast by the crease, half way around the areola, the armpit, or through the belly button (umbilicus).

Silicone implants are usually placed through 2 common incisions: under the breast by the crease or half way around the areola.  In some occasions the armpit (axilla) can be used. The scar is slightly longer because the implant is pre-filled when received, whereas a saline implant is filled once inside

What to do?

First of all, don't panic. Although it is discouraging to have a second leak, the saline is absolutely harmless. I would suggest that you speak with your doctor on Monday and review the options with him or her.

One major advantage to a silicone implant is that most do not change in shape when they leak. They also tend to ripple less and have a more natural look and feel. Silicone has also been proven to be harmless to the body. Although they do need to be monitored with MRI, most patients feel that this is well worth the effort.

Please discuss these ideas with your plastic surgeon. Here's wishing you the best of success!

George Sanders, MD

Should I switch to silicone?

I can only say that in my practice I use likely 98% silicone implants vs Saline.  The leakage risk is much lower and they often look and feel more natural.  They do demand more follow up with your surgeon, however, since a leak isn't quite as obvious with a silicone device.  Allergan now makes a Highly Cohesive Inspira Round implant that "should" have a lower risk of rupture and since its a solid gel, a lower risk of gel leaving the capsule in the event of a leakage.  You can discuss these options with your surgeon.