Misaligned and Crooked Teeth: What Treatment Would be Best?

I am 20 year old college student and I have am looking to fix my smile. My smile really brings down my confidence and am finally looking to get it fixed. What kind of treatment would be best?

Doctor Answers 2

Orthodontic treatment of misaligned teeth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Orthodontic treatment is definitely what you need to consider first. Have a consultation with a board certified orthodontist. Orthodontics can be a relatively conservative way to change your smile and once it's completed, you may find you don't need that much additional treatment.

Cleveland Dentist

Treating misaligned teeth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your first step should be a comprehensive examination by an orthodontist.  They will evaluate the relationships between tooth and jaw size, tooth position, effects of cross bite and many other considerations.  This will help determine the type of treatment needed, duration of treatment and whether surgical intervention is needed. 

Today's orthodontics include traditional wires and brackets, clear brackets, placing fixtures on the tongue side of the teeth instead of the lip side and clear aligners such as Invisalign.  Your orthodontist will discuss one or combination of these methods is appropriate for your condition and aesthetic desires.

Once the teeth have been brought into proper and aesthetic alignment, tooth and gum contours, defects and discolorations can be adjusted or repaired to give you the confident smile you desire.

Marc Zive, DMD
Springfield Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.