How often does a breast implant bottom out after only four months after surgery? (photo)

As you can see in the photo, can this be corrected? You can see, they fall into my armpits, and you cant see in this pic, but my left breast has an indent on the implant that is very visible. why did it happen and the surgeon did not realize it? He did see me at 4 months, 6 months and a year after the surgery.

Lateral Fallout Is Common

Hello Louann,  This can be easily remedied with sutures in the capsule.  The implant is set aside in a sterile basin with antibiotic fluid.  An internal repair with sutures, like an invisible hem, is performed, and then the implant is replaced.  Care is taken to be sure the two sides match.  I have had this happen more commonly with saline and also smooth silicone implants (due to the water hammer effect) and find it is less common with textured silicone implants.     

Bismarck Plastic Surgeon

How often does a breast implant bottom out after only four months after surgery?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery.  You demonstrate your concerns nicely. Although some “falling to these sides” of breast implants is quite normal when you lie down, if this occurs “excessively”, it may be a concern to patients. This phenomenon is called lateral displacement of the breast implant. Surgical correction is an option. Generally, the lateral breast implant displacement can be corrected using an internal suture technique, decreasing the size of the pockets and moving the implants toward the midline.   In my practice, I use  a 2 layered suture technique to close off the space laterally (towards the axilla). The use of acellular dermal matrix is an option ( although not usually necessary)  especially if significant implant rippling/palpability is present. I hope this, and the attached link, (dedicated to this type of revisionary breast surgery concerns) helps.  Best wishes.

Revision procedure

Good pictures with no top front,side and reclined a big help! Yes,  you will likely need lateral capsule plication to move the implant to the middle. This is a procedure most board certified plastic surgeons can handle. Implant malposition can occur due to exercise, a slanted chest wall, over dissection, and just bad luck. If it was there the next day after surgery then your doctoe should have noticed and put  you in a support bra for a month. I hope this helps. Good luck and please update pictures.

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon