Why is my swelling so large and firm?

I am two days after my procedure on my lower abdomen. Thankfully, very little pain, but the swelling is Massive and very hard. I have on compression shorts, but cannot even come close to buttoning jeans. I know swelling is a normal, but is it supposed to be so "firm"? My abdomen is more then twice the size it was before the procedure from so much swelling.

Firmness after CS

Firmness and swelling is not uncommon.  Massage and warm compress helps this subside faster.  Spanx is a good idea as well.

Swelling expected

Swelling post cool sculpting is expected this is simply because of the technique that is used to achieve results. The applicator uses a vacuum suction to pull as much fat as it can into the cups and therefore be able to freeze more = greater results. Some clients will agree that it is usually twice the size as you were before, and can experuience it feeling firm. The swelling will subside after a week and then you may experience tingling sensation. 

Dr Davin Lim
Dermatologist 
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Swelling Post Coolsculpting

Some patients get very swollen from coolsculpting and if you are concerned I suggest speaking to your physician for an immediate evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Extreme Swelling After CoolSculpting

Hi Jane. Did they do a manual massage on you after they removed the applicator? Some degree of swelling is to be expected after the treatment, but the manual massage can help reduce the severity of it. Either way the swelling should resolve in a week or two. If there is any concern I would contact your treatment provider immediately. Best of luck.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Coolsculpting

•  Hello, again thank you for your question. It is not uncommon to have swelling following this procedure however most patients do not feel it is severe. I would recommend a followup visit with your treating physician. Best of luck with your continued recovery.

John J. O'Brien, Jr., MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Swelling from Coolsculpting

I would definitely return to your treating physician to examine the abdominal area if you are having so much swelling.  Best, Dr. Green