When should I consider surgery to get my implant where it should be?

I am a week and 3 months post op and my left side has settled and my right has not. It has made any major changes in a month and it rides higher than my other one where my cleavage starts. It is a little harder but at times it feels soft like the other side. Everything I read on here say I should wait for them to settle in 6 months. I'm wondering if I have an issue and is it too soon to make arrangements to get it fixed? I think about it all the time. Looking for suggestions. Thanks!

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward may assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants). The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

Given your concerns, I would suggest that you meet with your plastic surgeon to discuss options. He/she knows your situation well and will be able to advise you regarding timing of revisionary breast surgery, if this is what is decided upon.
  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with, regardless of the specific cup size achieved.

Timing of revision for high riding implant

At 3 months you should not have major asymmetry. However, the timing of a revision is based not just on that but whether there has been enough healing to enable the revision to be done accurately on healthy tissue. So at 3 months you can be assessed to determine why the implant is high, and plan on a revision with the timing dependent on what your surgeon determines.

Richard Baxter, MD

High riding implant

Without your pre-and postoperative photographs it's hard to say just what's going on. In my opinion, a breast implant that is not dropped at the same rate as the opposite side after three months probably is not going to on its own. The skin may continue to stretch and accommodate the shape but sometimes not the capsule. The best person for you to ask is your operating plastic surgeon who knows your situation and can best give you their thoughts on fixing it. Congratulations on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Without photos to indicate what is going on it is not possible to give you any specific advice. However a high implant is never going to settle on its own. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Possible revision breast implant surgery

Without pictures, it may be hard to determine the underlying cause of your problem.  Your best bet is to return to your original PS who can make an assessment.  While it is true that it takes about six months for the skin to fully redrape to the new contour, by three months it is ideal that your breasts have good level of symmetry. 

To promote settling of the other implant, sometimes breast massage, breast band, and/or medical bra could help.  Nevertheless, the treatment must be based on the findings during a physical exam. 

Meanwhile, revisions are generally considered after six months to make sure that all things are "stable."

I hope that helps and good luck.