Plan to get 450cc or 475cc under the muscle silicone breast implants (high profile). Would these be too much?

I am 22 years old, 5'1" and 115lb. currently 32A Athletic body type. I am afraid they are going to look a little smaller since I am getting them under the muscle. I don't want to look heavy and disproportionate, and I don't mind a little bit of "fake" look but I don't want to look totally fake!

Try on sizers

If you like the way these sizers look they should be fine. They do look a little smaller under the muscle.

Implant Selection

The size difference will not be noticeable in clothing.  In terms of size, It is much better to accurately discuss implant volume and projection with an in office exam and detailed measurements.

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements/characteristics. I use these measurements to help me during the sizing process to guide you to a safe result for your chest wall and just as important, one that meets your end desires.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor. The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant. It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you during the sizing process.

In addition, review of photos and use of rice bags can be very helpful to the patient and surgeon in achieving a safe and happy result. Close intereaction and involvement from your surgeon during this process can help alleviate the anxiety and fears of choosing the right size.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast implant sizes

It is very important you communicate your goals of surgery with your plastic surgeon. The difference in size between the two implants are not a visible difference. Best of luck. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

What is the right size implant

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.
  1. Most women between age 18 - 24, select implants that they later find are too large,
  2. A 475 cc implant on a thin women of 5.1, unless you have a very wide chest - which you may -  will be a very large implant.
  3. Discuss your goals with your plastic surgeon and after a full examination and discussion of different implant sizes, profiles, textures, positions, etc, - and trying on sizers - you will together come up with the best implant for you.
  4. If in doubt - choose the smaller implant. What is great at 22 may look too big at 28!

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope this information helps. Best wishes.

Best Size, Best Profile Breast Implant Selection

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below.

450 or 475 cc implants?

A specific implant volume can look very different in different individuals depending on many factors: implant type and location, body habitus (height and weight as you say), size of the existing breast, nipple position,the amount of excess skin to name several. Also, the difference between a 450cc and a 475cc implant is very little.All these factors need to be taken into consideration when choosing the volume to be used. One way to get an idea of the appearance is have your surgeon place implants in your bra with a tight shirt on. another way is to use digital imaging where you can morph the preoperative photo using software that some surgeons own. 

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Communication with your surgeon is critical in achieving the results you wish. I find that this is best done with the use of pictures as opposed to trying to predetermine specific implant size or profile.

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size.
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
 On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.

Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants. 

4. The size and profile of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. 

450cc or 475cc under the muscle silicone breast implants

450 and 475 mL implants are relatively large if placed in a small frame. Implants of this size can sometimes increase the risk of positioning problems including symmastia. Be sure to discuss with your surgeon the risk of these issues given your anatomy. There are many factors that go into sizing including the pre-existing size of your chest and breast. Your surgeon should help you make a good choice.

Choosing implants

Your best bet when you are trying to decide on implants is to try on sizers of the exact implant you are considering inside a very tight sports bra. This will give you a close idea of what you will look like. More importantly the dimensions or width of the implants need to match and fit your frame and body. If you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in breast augmentation he or she should be able to help you with this in their office. Good luck! best, Dean Vistnes, M.D

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Biodimensional analysis/ physically active patients for breast augmentation

Breast implants can look natural as long as the base diameter fits under the breast.  I caution physically active women to avoid submuscular placement of the implants due to increased risk of distortion and displacement from the hyper dynamic muscles in these patients.  They are better served with sub fascial placement with fat grafting to help camouflage the implant if they are very thin.