Is placing veneers on teeth with root canals appropriate? (Photo)

I had three root canals roughly 15+ years ago on my front teeth. One has a cap and the other two have darkened a bit. I have met with a cosmetic dentistry (with great creditionals/tons of experience with veneers) and he says he can place veneers on these teeth and replace the cap so the color will match. I know root canals cause the tooth to be come weak and brittle, so my question is are veneers a good option for these teeth? The Dentist states the veneer will strengthen these teeth. True?

#Veneers or #crowns for teeth with root canals #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
Whether you dentist recommends a veneer or crown for your teeth with root canals depends on several factors. I usually recommend a crown for a root canaled tooth. However, there are cases where the tooth is in perfect shape, the root canal treatment was performed conservatively and the access hole is small, and enough sound tooth structure remains making a veneer a great option.  You dentist is correct that a veneer will strengthen your root canaled teeth. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO Area (O'Fallon, IL)

Veneers can strengthen root canal treated teeth

Your dentist is right. The veneers can give added strength and remaking the crown at the same time allows a better color match.