Dr. Says she sticks with mostly C cups; not sure I want to be a cookie cutter?

How do you decide what size to go to? Im a 34F and aside from the pain I do like my shapely figure. My consultation stated that my ins. Will allow me to stay on larger size D cup. Is that too big for my 5ft 3 frame? I weigh around 130 or 125 if I really work at it.

How much to remove with breast reduction?

For insurance to "cover" breast reduction surgery, your surgeon will need to remove an insurance-mandated minimum of breast tissue per side--this amount is based on height and weight (BMI). At 5'3" and 130lbs., this would compute to be less than the minimum of 400g that most insurance plans require. Weighing less will not improve this equation, so regardless of your weight (125 or 130), you can safely assume your surgeon will need to remove at least 400g (nearly a pound) of tissue per breast.

What tissue remains is the real issue here, as it sounds as if your surgeon is planning on removing more than the minimum, and you are concerned that might leave you smaller than you wish. This is quite reasonable, especially for a woman who has been busty (and likes that, aside from the pain) all her adult life.

Once removed, you cannot put it back, so I'm with you--stay a bit on the generous side of what remains. More can always be removed down the line, but if you have babies and breast feed, you may find your loss of breast tissue "too much," and then rue the day you allowed your reduction surgeon to remove as much as she is planning.

You need to come to an understanding with your surgeon, or find one more in tune with your wishes. Best regards! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

C Cup Breasts

Hello and thank you for your question!  I strongly advise you begin looking for a surgeon for a consultation that you feel most connected with.  There are many factors involved in choosing your surgeon.  It may even require visiting 2 or 3 surgeons before you decide.  Also, keep in mind that some practices may book their surgery schedules 2 or 3 months in advance.  It is best to go in for an in-person evaluation and be examined by a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in your procedure of interest to attain a cost.  Best of luck to you!

Jon Paul Trevisani, MD, FACS
Maitland Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

It depends on your chest wall measurements and existing breast tissue as implant size does not accurately correlate to a bra size.  It also depends on the brand and style of bra you wear as size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Dimensional Sizing/Measurements

Thank you for your question. Bra sizing varies between manufacturers so there is no way to really tell you that a certain size or "cup" is too big or too small for you. You will measure differently depending on where you shop. I recommend that you select a Plastic Surgeon whose before and after photos appeal to you. Their approach combined with your expressed goals should guide the surgical plan. You could also compare different consultations with different Plastic Surgeons if you wish.

All the best 

How much to reduce?

Thank you for your question.  There are alot of factors to look at when deciding on the right amount for a breast reduction.  It's not always what is removed that is important as what amount of breast tissue that remains.  One of the main goals for a breast reduction is to decrease the weight which will improve pain in the neck and back areas.  Reducing the size of the breasts will also improve the skin irritation in the fold beneath the breasts.  Different surgeons perform a variety of techniques and will depend on the amount of reduction needed.  The final size can also be limited by balancing the removal of breast tissue with maintaining a cosmetic pleasing appearance.  Finally, insurance carriers all have different minimal reduction amounts based on your body surface area.  Many times you must decide between the amount requested for removal vs a pleasing result.  I recommend you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the options best for you.  Good luck!

John McFate, MD