Is there a way to cure a bumpy tissue scar after eyelid surgery? (photos)

I had double eyelid surgery back on March 2013, and I have noticed there was a bump tissue scar at the end of the incision line on my left eye. It's actually right above the line (please see picture). It's there and it's noticeable. Will this be consider an eyelid revision or should I need one? I am looking to fix this and hope I don't have to go through a surgery again for this. Please advise me with any better solutions to cure this tissue scar. Thank you very much.

Doctor Answers 2

Incision bump after eyelid surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It does appear that you have a small scar at the outside (temporal) edge of your incision. This bump does not appear to be related to excessive skin and is likely the result of a minor trauma that occurred at the time of surgery. Another consideration is that the bump may be due to a retained or permanent deep suture. If a  suture is present under the skin, it should be removed through a tiny incision. Otherwise the injection of a low strength steroid, possibly combined with 5-Flourouracil (5FU), will likely flatten the scar  - especially if the injection is combined with twice daily light circular massage. If possible, I would return to your original surgeon. If that is not practical, find a surgeon in your area that is qualified and experienced in cosmetic eyelid surgery. Best wishes.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 126 reviews

Bumpy scar tissue

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Some bumpy or raised scar tissue can benefit significantly from injections of a steroid such as Kenalog.  Often, this flattens the bump and eliminates the need for any other intervention; without the benefit of an in-person evaluation and exam, I suspect this may be what you need.  Your best bet is to check in with your eyelid surgeon to see if you are appropriate for this treatment.  If your surgeon is not available, facial plastic surgeons, plastic surgeons, and dermatologists will often treat scars with steroid injections.  Good luck!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.