Breast augmentation too large, what are my options? (Photo)

I am 5'4 125 lbs, size 2, 46 years old. I had breast implants 18 months ago. I wanted to be no larger than a D cup, my surgeon said he could do that without doing a lift. I ended up being 34DDD whend he was done. He said my pockets inside were too large and that he had to make me this size. I feel very unpunproportionate. I wear sports bras to minimize my look. What are my options?

Breast implant size should be thoroughly establish before breast augmentation.

This is a problem that comes one too little attention is paid to choosing the size of the implant prior to surgery. The only solution to your problem unfortunately is another operation.

Breast Implants Larger Than Expected?

Thank you for your question!  Unfortunately the only other option is another surgery with smaller implants!  It is very important to have a couple sizings prior to your surgery with your doctor.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board CertifiedPlastic SurgeonChicago Hoffman EstatesOak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation too large

HI Isabella,

I agree that you will need to have another operation that will include smaller implants and a skin tightening with 
a mastopexy. You will have more scars, but they should not be any more than you would have had if the mastopexies had been done at the original operation. It might be helpful for you with your next surgeon if you could bring pictures in of the look that you wish to have.
Dr. Christine Rodgers

Breast Lift with implants

Sorry that you are disappointed.
The only solution in a breast lift with smaller implants.
The weight of those implants has given you a lot of extra skin, if you go smaller without the lift is going to look really bad.

Pick a board certified surgeon

Good luck

Gustavo Almanzar, MD

Large implants

Thank you for your questions. I agree with other surgeons comments. Your implants can be exchanged with smaller size and do the lift.

Implants too large: what are my options?

Unfortunately I have seen this problem many times: a surgeon puts in large implants to disguise some breast sag, with the result that the breasts are too large. Implants cannot actually lift a breast, but can when used appropriately make a breast appear more youthful and fill out the upper pole.  At this point, your only good solution is to replace with smaller implants and accept the need for a breast lift. The good news is that you can get a nice shape, and exactly the size you want.  The trade off of fine scars is for most patients once the scars have faded is a good one.

Hi IsabellaRay, I agree completely with Dr. Guerra in that I also never guarantee a cup size for breast augmentation surgery. You're now far enough out from having your surgery to consider doing a revisionary procedure.  You may consider a lift along with an implant exchange, however this is impossible to say for certain without an in person exam.  Consider returning to your original plastic surgeon or seek one who is a member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons).  Best to you. -Dr. Coan

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Augment too large

Hello, if your implants are too large, you could consider smaller implants.  Sometimes when smaller implants are inserted, a lift is required to maintain your nipple position.  However, it would be reasonable to have the smaller implants inserted then have a lift at a later date if needed.

Breast augmentation too large, what are my options?

I am sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction after breast surgery. Your question is a very good one; however, whether or not removal/replacement (with smaller implants) alone will achieve your goals is hard to know without physical examination and a complete communication of your goals. Sometimes, additional work such as “capsule work” (capsulorraphy) is necessary to improve the outcome of surgery when patients undergo downsizing of breast implants. Also, there are cases where patients benefit from removal of skin (breast lifting) along with downsizing of breast implants. Much will depend on how much you downsize, the position of your current breast implants on your chest wall, and the quality of the overlying skin/tissue elasticity.
Please make sure that your plastic surgeon has a significant/demonstrable experience with revisionary breast surgery. Make sure that you communicate your goals carefully as well. Working together, you will come up with the best plan to achieve your goals. You may find the attached link, dedicated to revisionary breast surgery concerns, helpful to you as you consider options. Best wishes.

Too big, what's next?

Hello Isabella ray. I never base my results on the bra size. I believe patients should look good with and without a bra. If you're happy with the size otherwise, then there's not much to do at this time. If you're truly feeling like you're too big then revision surgery 12 months after the operation to a smaller cup and a lift might be reasonable. Of course, there's no way to make a diagnosis online and to give you a recommendation for after surgery issues. So this is just a guess! Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD