Are back to back complications normal? Does this happen often? Should I find another doctor? I pay each time.

I had my 1st breast aug 12/2015. Within 2-3 months I realized I wasn't healing normally. Went to get an MRI and was found to have capsular contracture 4. 06/2016 I went with the same doc to have it fixed. It is now 10/2016 and I am sure I have another complication, bottoming out/rippling. It is painful everyday and I am scheduled to see my doc again soon, where he will recommend another surgery (internal bra). I just can't believe I am having so many complications back to back like this.

Back to Back Complications?

Sorry to hear that you are having these problems. Unfortunately complications can occur, but should be rare. Capsular contracture is a difficult complication, and the surgery to correct the problem can lead to other types of problems. We really don't have enough information about your situation to understand if your complications are just an unfortunate set of occurrences or if something else is at work. Does your surgeon seem genuinely concerned about your situation? Do you get the feeling that they are trying their best to help you out? Have they suggested that you see another surgeon for a second opinion? There can be situations in which there are repeat complications. On the other hand, sometimes patients will loose faith in their surgeon if they experience too many problems. Getting a second opinion never hurts.

Complications

I am sorry that you are experiencing these issues. You need to discuss finances with your surgeon's office. Best of luck.

Breast issues after augmentation: capsular contracture and rippling

Thank you for sharing. Breast augmentation patients occasionally do experience capsular contracture and later rippling. The causes may be multifactorial and may or may not be technique related. If you're wondering about your case, seek out another opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon (preferable from one who has a significant breast practice in cosmetic and modern reconstruction as these more complex situations can blend). Best wishes!

Back to Back Complications Do Happen

I am so sorry to read about your two complications.  This is not common, but it does happen.  You may have had a total capsulectomy to treat your first problem- capsular contracture.  This may have thinned the tissues or corrected the problem to the point that your second problems- ripples and fall out are evident.  This may be not fault of the surgeon.   You can satisfy yourself you are embarking on the right course of action with a second opinion.  

D'Arcy Honeycutt, MD
Bismarck Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture is the primary bugaboo of implant surgery

Capsular contracture is part of implant surgery.  Its a biologic process that is unavoidable in certain patients regardless of execution.  I am assuming you had a capsulectomy and new implants placed round two?  Bottoming and rippling are separate issues and can be either technical or soft tissue related.  I would have a frank conversation with your surgeon, and if you are still uncertain, a second opinion never hurts.  

Breast revision

Hello and thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about these problems you have unfortunately experienced.  The most important question is your comfort level and confidence in your surgeon.  If you believe you have a good surgeon who is determined to help fix your problems, then stay with your surgeon.  If you have concerns, then seek a second opinion.  Make sure your surgeon is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has experience in complex breast revisional surgery. 

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Complications vs side effects

This may be semantics, but what you are experiencing are side effects of the implants, not real complications.  Implants can and will become hard (capsule formation), wrinkle, ripple and even move around.  This is a side effect of the implants and not really a complication or a poorly performed procedure.  You might even say it is bad luck on your part. 

If you have a good relationship with your plastic surgeon, then I would stay with him/her.  But, I would ask for some financial assistance if you need another procedure.  It also is not a bad idea to obtain a second or even a third opinion, even if you plan on staying with your initial surgeon.  I always say, "if you want 10 different opinions ask 10 different plastic surgeons".  It doesn't make any of them right or wrong, just different.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Get another opinion

When it comes to problems, I usually recommend after the second problem to at least see one other doctor. Make certain the surgeon is board certified and has a busy breast practice. 

Donald W. Kress, MD, FACS
Frederick Plastic Surgeon

Back to back complications normal?

I am sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced.   As you can imagine, it is difficult for online consultants to advise you without knowing more details about your situation or your plastic surgeon. Generally speaking, every plastic surgeon will have complications and occasionally all of us will have patients who experience more than one complication.

Assuming you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon who seems to be fully focused and dedicated to improving your outcome, it is likely in your best interests to allow him/her to do so. On the other hand, if you have doubts about the plastic surgeon's experience level, ability, or "dedication" to his practice, second opinion consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons (who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with revisionary breast surgery) may be indicated.

Sorry I cannot provide you with more specific advice. Best wishes.