What Can Be Done for Poor Neck Lift Results? (Photo)

I had a surgical neck lift performed a year ago. After telling the plastic surgeon I couldn't tell a difference he sold me a Lazer Lift (at reduced cost). After this was ineffective he said there was nothing else he could do. I am now out several thousand dollars and my neck looks saggier and droopier than it did before the surgery. Please help me - this has taken over my life to the point that I can hardly look in a mirror.

Neck lift

I am sorry that you have had an unsatisfactory result. Unfortunately, there are so many minimally invasive techniques advertised for face/neck lift and often they do not work. The only way your neck can be corrected is to redo the neck lift with an experienced surgeon. You will need incisions beneath the chin and around the ear with tightening of the underlying platysma muscle and redraping of the skin over it. There are several other things that need to be done but are beyond the scope of this column. You may also need fat grafting if there are areas from where too much fat has been removed.

However, you will need to wait at least about 6 months after your last surgery before proceeding. 

Neck Lift Revision

Based on the one photo you submitted, it looks as though you have a significant amount of soft tissue irregularity and scar tethering in the neck. This is a difficult situation to correct and will very likely need surgical exploration and revisional surgery. It also seems as though the lower face was not addressed at all based on your residual jowling. You have skin excess in the lower face as well as in the neck, so an isolated Necklift was probably not the best option for you initially. My recommendation to you is to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss revisional facial surgery.

Mark Gaon, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

#neckSurgeryRevision to correct and unhappy result

unfortunately this can be a difficult problem and will require revision surgery to explore the area even out fat tighten muscle and skin as needed,

What Can Be Done for Poor Neck Lift Results?

From your photograph it would appear that you definitely need a revision neck lift.  This would involve releasing all the internal scar from both sides of the neck as well as the midline.  Unfortunately this could not be done for at least 12 month following your last procedure.  In the meantime steroid injection might be of some help. Please consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
I hope this has helped you.
Good luck

Stanley P. Gulin, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift results

It is difficult to assess your neck from this one photograph. Most likely a surgical revision can help you with the physical problem, and you would benefit from an in person evaluation by a board certified facial plastic surgeon with experience in revision neck lifts. It is also concerning that this issue has taken over your life. Perhaps you would benefit from speaking with a mental health professional to acquire different coping skills to deal with this problem in the meantime as you consider surgery.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unfortunate neck lift result

Thank you for asking about your neck lift.

I am so very sorry that you are going through this.
Sadly, there will be no treatment to improve this without re-dong the neck lift.
The photo suggests that your surgeon tightened the skin but removed too little fat over the platysma muscle.
A careful re-do neck lift is a complex and lengthy procedure and will not be inexpensive.
If you are not prepared for that now, is there any way you might lose some weight?
It should reduce some of the fat naturally - and perhaps well enough to help you through a difficult time while you save money for a further surgery.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Revision neck lift for poor results from prior neck lift.

Sorry for your anguish. A Revision neck lift for poor results from prior neck lift is the only way to fix this. See a very experienced revision facelift surgeon to correct this. This surgery is not for the young plastic surgeon. An examination in person needs to be done.

Neck lift options

Thank you for sharing. It is hard to tell based on one after picture. An in person examination can better help determine your needs. Sometimes the issue is extra skin and sometimes the muscle and fat below the skin need treatment. Previous records of operation(s) are helpful. Consider a local second opinion. Hope this helps.