I had lipo on my jowls, neck/lower cheeks 8 years ago. It left fat under the middle of my chin. Am I a candidate for Kybella?

A current Dr said I was a good candidate for kybella. I did'nt mention my lipo because I still have fat in the center where Kybella is placed. I watched of videos of the kybella treatment and feel I am still a good candidate. I am afraid if I told the doctor, she might say no to my treatment. I am thin and fat under my chin has always bothered me. Should I be concerned that a doctor would refuse to do kybella on me if I let them know that I had liposuction there 8 years ago?

Kybella post liposuction

I don't see why there would be an issue with your having Kybella after having had liposuction 8 years ago. If you still have a pocket of fat under the chin then Kybella could be the ideal solution for you.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

In my opinion, this is a perfect opportunity to use Kybella.

In my opinion, this is a perfect opportunity to use Kybella as it will dissolve unwanted fat in a localized area. There should not be a problem with having Kybella done after having had liposuction 8 years ago. Visit a board-certified dermatologist to see if you are a good candidate for the procedure. Kybella can be very effective in reducing unwanted fat under the chin.

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella After Liposuction

Witholding information from a treating physician is usually contra-productive and deceiving.
Kybella is a good option for treatment of post liposuction deformities or residual fat.
Please use this information when consutling in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Kybella and Good Candidate NYC

It is always wise to disclose any surgical or medical advise to your current physician.  It does not sound like the liposuction should be a contraindication for having Kybella injections.  You should consult a trained dermatologist who is certified in Kybella injections for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella candidates

Thank you for your question. Since you did not submit a photo I cannot tell how much submental fullness you have under your chin. It’s always best to submit a photo consult for a better opinion, which you can do on various doctors’ websites like ours. The liposuction you had 8 years ago will not have an effect on whether you are a candidate or not, but you must be truthful to your physician when they are assessing that area. If you are interested in the procedure it’s always best to have in-person consultation with a qualified physician so that they can fully review the treatment area.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Discussing cosmetic treatment options

I always recommend to patients to be completely open and honest with your physician about treatments you're interested in, and to explain why you want to pursue them.  Kybella is a great, relatively non-invasive treatment to improve the appearance of the chin/jawline, but it's not for everyone.  For some people, other surgical or non-surgical treatments may be better options.  In general, though, having had liposuction in the past does not disqualify you from getting Kybella.

The vast majority of cosmetic dermatologists will be happy to hear your reasoning and discuss which options would be best for you.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella

It's always in your best interest to let your medical provider know your complete medical history. Based on your description, you sound like an ideal candidate for Kybella.

Kybella after previous liposuction to the submental area

It is difficult to evaluate your situation with out pictures and a physical exam. If on exam you have fat in the safe area to inject then you should be able to have the procedure done with caution. seek a board certified plastic surgeon to do so.

Good luck!

Kybella

Thank you for your question, donna theo. Enough time has passed between your liposuction for you to have the option to move forward with Kybella. You should not feel afraid to discuss anything with your doctor - it is very important that you meet with a board certified facial plastic surgeon and find that you and the surgeon have a rapport. I cannot stress how important it is to establish a very open, honest and comfortable patient-surgeon relationship before moving forward with any surgery.

In short, yes you are a candidate with Kybella, and pictures are always helpful for us on this site as well.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybelle

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately there is no picture. You should always be honest with your treating physician. If you in deed still have central neck fat below your skin, you are a candidate for Kybelle. 

I hope one you find this information useful. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA