Should I get eyelid surgery at 18? (Photo)

I've had super droopy eyelids for as long as I could remember and their only getting worse as I get older? What should I do? Are there any other treatments other than surgery?

Droopy eyelids

Based on your photo and your history, you may have ptosis, which is repaired surgically.  This is different from the droopy eyelid skin (dermatochalasis) older patients develop with age where droopy eyelid skin.  Ptosis occurs when the muscles responsible for lifting the eyelids cannot adequately lift and hold them at the proper position.  The diagnosis of ptosis can be confirmed by careful physical exam. 

Not every cosmetic surgeon has extensive experience with ptosis repair and it can be a tricky surgery.  Whether you choose a facial plastic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon or plastic surgeon, make sure they have experience in ptosis repair.  

Denver Otolaryngologist

Should I get eyelid surgery at 18?

You can get eyelid ptosis (droopy eyelid) surgery at any age, depending on its necessity. I have performed ptosis surgeries even in babies, if ptosis bad enough. You do appear to be a candidate for ptosis surgery. Best to see an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yes this is upper eyelid ptosis.

See a fellowship trained oculfacial surgeon for this.  General plastic surgeons and facial plastic surgeons are minimally trained in ptosis surgery.  Some are better trained than others.  For that reason, see a specialist.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a directory on their website that can help you find a highly qualified surgeon close to home.  In looking at your photos, I think you need an anterior levator surgery with anchor blepharoplasty.  

Eyelid surgery at 18

There is no limit on age when having eyelid surgery for ptosis. The surgery is elective, and therefore, you may wish to wait until the problem is interfering with your activities. If it is truly bothersome to you now, then I would recommend an evaluation by an oculoplastic surgeon. Oculoplastic specialists are familiar with the fine details of levator surgery, lid contour, lid crease fixation, and treatment of ocular problems that could potentially arise after surgery. Best wishes with your decisions.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy eyelids at 18

I would strongly suggest you consult a board certified Occuloplastic surgeon to evaluate you for ptosis which if confirmed would benefit from surgical correction; otherwise, you do not need a cosmetic blepharoplasty for skin excess or loss of elasticity.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis

Ramlawarsame,

From your picture it looks like you have upper eyelid ptosis.  The muscle lifting the lid (levator) may be weak or partially detached from the connection to the lid.  In addition, it looks like you are using your eyebrows to lift the lids.  I recommend that you see an oculoplastic or facial plastic surgeon experienced in ptosis surgery.  The surgery takes about 30-45 minutes and involves making an incision to expose your levator muscle which can then be tightened with stitches.  This procedure may even be covered by insurance.  Cheers and good luck.

Hugo Higa, MD
Honolulu Oculoplastic Surgeon

Possible surgery for droopy eyelids

It is possible that you could have ptosis of your upper eyelids.  This occurs when the muscle in the upper eyelid weakens and it causes the upper eyelid to fall lower across the eyeball than it should.  This can be repaired with surgery.  I would recommend seeing an oculoplastic surgeon, or a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon, that is experienced in ptosis repair.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery at 18

Looking at the frontal view of your picture, I do not see excess skin that warrants a classic blepharoplasty which trims the flaccid, or excess eyelid skin with or without removal of excess orbital fat.  You may have a more droopy eyelid which covers more of the iris.  This is the normal anatomy for your eyes and if you would like them raised, more of your iris would show.  This procedure is call eyelid ptosis repair which is usually performed at a younger age than someone with excess eyelid skin due to aging.

Johnny Mao, MD, FACS
Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon