Can dermabrasion reduce the appearance of my acne scar? (Photo)

I want to treat my acne scars because it's making my self esteem lower. What will be the best treatment for acne scar like mine? Can dermabrasion alone reduce the appearance of my acne scar?

Dermabrasion for Acne Scars

While dermabrasion may help your acne scars, I feel CO2 laser resurfacing does a much better job and has a number of advantages as well as better and more predictable outcomes. However, both dermabrasion and laser resurfacing results are only as good as the person performing the procedures. In Minnesota, I would suggest going to the Department of Dermatology at the Mayo Clinic. I know a number of doctors there and have even trained some in surgical procedures. They should do a great job for you.          jlr

Clermont Dermatologist

Thank you for your question. Dermabrasion alone can reduce the appearance of your acne scars. Dermabrasion can also be performed in conjunction with other procedures, a feature which allows you and your single or double board certified facial plastic surgeon to determine the best treatment plan for your unique skin.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can dermabrasion reduce the appearance of my acne scar

Dermabrasion can improve the appearance of acne scars. There is long healing times (2-4 weeks) and prolonged erythema associated with this procedure.  Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgepon for all of your options

Dermabrasion isn't the Best, but it can Help

Dermabrasion can certainly aid in improving the appearance of your acne scars; however, there are other procedures that have been proven to be much more effective. For instance, laser skin resurfacing can smooth the surface of the skin and increase collagen production, helping smooth out acne scars. Micro-Needling is also very effective for scar removal, as it too can improve collagen production to help remove your acne scars.
At the end of the day, it takes a good cosmetic dermatologist to ensure the removal of acne scars; but, each of these procedures certainly have the potential at doing so non-invasively.

Eric Seiger, DO
Fenton Dermatologist

Different Types Of Acne Scars Require Different Treatment Approaches.

Subcision, with or without the application of a volumizing filler, is an effective approach for elevating depressed acne scars. Although subcision typically entails a series of two to four treatment sessions spaced at four to six week intervals to achieve optimal improvement, the concomitant injection of a volumizer, such as Radiesse, which I would use in my Upper East Side Manhattan office and Hyaluronica 2, which I would opt for in my Israel satellite facility (where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved volumizing fillers are available) not only helps to provide immediate gratifying improvement, but by virtue of its ability to stimulate new, native collagen production, supplements the biostimulatory effects of the subcision.

Dermabrasion, whether automated or manual is a time honored approach to acne scar treatment that has been effective for making depressed scars more shallow and for evening out surface irregularities.  However, it is not without its potential for adverse results and prolonged downtime.

Fractional microneedle resurfacing, on the other hand,  aka medical microneedling, a relatively inexpensive technqiue, may then be used, if necessary, to blend any residual irregularities in surface texture and tone of the scars. It is associated with little to no significant downtime.

Consult with a board certified aesthetic physician with experience and expertise in scar treatments. Since acne scars come in different varieties that require specific tailored treatments for each kind,  be very wary of the allure of marketing hype for this or that kind of laser or fraxel or any other device or approach for that matter that promises that it will be a "one size fits all."

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Best treatment for acne scars

Medical micro-needling has been proven to be a better treatment than dermabrasion for acne scarring. There are also scientific studies showing micro-needling can give as good or better results than fractionated laser treatments and at a fraction of the cost!
I have found micro-needling to be even more effective when combined with the application of human growth factor serums at the time of the treatment. This treatment works by stimulating the skin to trigger the release of growth factors to create more collagen and elastic fibers, resulting in thicker, healthier looking skin with greater improvement in the appearance of the acne scars.
In my office, we use the ProCell Therapies system which combines motorized micro-needling with concentrated growth factor serums made from human bone marrow stem cells and are seeing excellent results in the treatment of acne scars. Our patients also maintain their improvement by using growth factor serums at home after their office treatment.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon