9 weeks post op for breast reduction. How long for open holes to heal?

One side is healed. The other side has come up with multiple small holes approx 4-5 and two bigger 5mm diameter open type surface wound. Either ooze blood/straw-liquid. No fever/chills/no-meds since last 15 days or so. The culture for discharge shows no bacterial growth. At times some of these holes close and then reopen. Is this normal . How long can it take to heal completely. My doc tells me to wait it out. Physically I don't have any pain but don;t know when this will end.

In person exam required

There may be spitting sutures that need to be removed in order for these areas to close.  Go visit the plastic surgeon.

"Holes" after breast reduction surgery…

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Wound healing problems that you are experiencing do occur occasionally after this procedure. Generally speaking, these areas go on to heal, within a few weeks (2-4) without long-term sequelae. Sometimes, the wounds may look worse before they look better. There are many reasons why the wounds can occur; often, they are related to sutures "spitting". Close follow up with your plastic surgeon will be key; he/she will be in the best position to diagnose cause of the openings and/or provide you with advice and/or meeting for reassurance.     Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term..

TENSION

Wound healing has a lot to do with tension.  Plastic surgeons are in the business of pulling things tight--but wounds don't like tension.  Be patient-I know its hard, it may take a month or so longer.  It sounds like you have minor healing problems that just need a little TLC and time.  It may take a while but they will heal.  Good luck. Jane

How long for open holes to heal?

Thank you for your question.  I'm sorry to hear about your wound healing problems.  There are many contributing reasons for one to have delayed wound healing, or development of wounds that take an extended period of time to close.  Keep in contact with your surgeon and follow their advice.  These do heal, sometimes it can take an extended period of time.  Be patient.  Good luck..

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon