I'm 18 years old, is it possible to permanently remove my birthmark and how much would it cost? (Photo)

I believe it is a hairy nevus birthmark. I have had it since birth, and it poses no health issues. I would like to get it removed because I have always been very self conscious about it, and have hidden it all my life.

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your question.  Birthmarks like this may sometimes respond to laser treatment and a small surgical procedure could also be considered.  A technique called serial excision can be very successful in removing the birthmark in 2 small procedures to leave behind the smallest scar in its place.  In the first procedure the middle portion of the birthmark would be removed and then after a healing period the procedure would be repeated to remove the rest.  This results in a small, thin scar with less likelihood of it returning.

As always, please consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for your best and safest outcome.

Best of Luck,

Dr. K.

Ontario Plastic Surgeon

Excision vs lasers for birthmarks.

The choice would be excision by a surgical dermatologist or plastics. Lasers are not particularly effective for this type of birthmark. As for cost, this would depend on your insurance cover and who performs it. All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Birthmark Removal = priceless with lasers, radiowave, shave

I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist for a formal evaluation. This can be improved or removed with lasers, radiowave or shave. Cost will vary, but see an expert to minimize scarring. Best, Dr. Emer