Placement of Implants if I Have a Physical Job?

Should my implants go above or below the muscle if I have a physical job. I do alot of lifting and I am wondering what the best option is?

Implant placement.

Thanks for your question. Most patients benefit from having a smooth breast implants placed under the muscle - specially long-term results and lower capsular contracture rates. Give yourself plenty of time to recover and even with a physical job, you should do well. Good luck - Dr. Aldo.

Above or below muscle for implants?

I do not think that you will have a problem having them above or below the muscle. It is a matter of whether or not you need the soft tissue coverage to go under themuscle.

Above or below the muscle for breast implant placement?

You will get different opinions from different plastic surgeons. I have a strong preference for placing breast implants partially under the muscle because I think it gives a more natural appearance, allows for a better mammogram as well as decreasing the risks of rippling of the upper/inner breasts. I have placed implants below the muscle in women who compete in fitness competitions, teach cross-fit or who do have very physical jobs. As long as you allow yourself the ability to heal properly before returning to normal upper body activities, you should do fine. As usual, this is something to discuss with your plastic surgeon who can best guide you to a decision that works best for you.

I hope this helps

Dr. Edwards

Placement of implants

Well, it's a question of your priorities.

With a typical dual-plane (partial sub-pectoral) placement, you get the advantages of a lower capsular contracture rate, better mammograms, better coverage of the implant, and probably a more natural look.  With modern techniques, recovery can be as short as 1-2 days where pain medications are required.

With the subglandular plane approach you get the advantages of:

less chance of dynamic movement of the breast with physical activities, and a quick recovery.

Your local plastic surgeon can explain more.  95% of my first-time patients usually pick the dual plane approach once I explain all this.

Submuscular or Subglandular for Breast Implants in Physical Job

For patients who perform physical jobs, bodybuilders, or fitness models placement in either plane is appropriate based upon expectations and anatomy.  For someone with little body fat or little breast tissue, the appearance of the breasts would benefit from submuscular placement.  Placement in the subglandular may be more appropriate for a patient with more breast tissue or subcutaneous fat.  Realize that there is some tradeoff for submuscular placement including greater pain postoperatively and a diminution in strength.  Although this reduction in strength is not noticed by most women, bodybuilders will be able to tell.

Placement of Breast Implants

I almost always place breast implants below the muscle. The risk for hardening of the breasts (capsular contracture) is less when the implants are below the muscle. They also appear more natural this way in my opinion. Even in patients with very physical jobs, I think it is a better choice.

Sub muscular or Subglandular Positioning of Breast Implants?

In my practice, I would offer you a breast augmentation with the breast implants placed in the sub muscular (dual plane) position. I think the advantages of placing the breast implants in this position are far greater than placing the breast implants in the sub glandular position.
This positioning allows for more complete coverage of the breast implants leading to generally more natural feel/look  of the implants in the long-term. This position will also decrease the potential for rippling and/or palpability  of the implants (which may increase with time, weight loss, and/or post-pregnancy changes).

The submuscular positioning  also tends to interfere with mammography less so than breast implants in the sub glandular position. The incidence of breast implant encapsulation (capsular  contraction)  is also decreased with implants placed in the sub muscular position.

On the other hand,  sub glandular breast implant positioning does not have the potential downside of “animation deformity” ( movement/ distortion of the breast implants  seen with flexion of the  pectoralis major muscle)  they can be seen with breast implants placed in these sub muscular position.

Less pain and faster recovery with Implants over the muscle

Placing implants over the muscle will certainly give you less pain and a faster recovery. This may be beneficial to you if you have a very physical job.  The disadvantage of implants over the muscle is slightly more visibility of the implants which can lead to more visible rippling or a more "fake" look.