Suture removal, upper blepharoplasty. Is this too long for the sutures to be in?

My upper eye blethoplasty was completed on a Monday afternoon. Iam not due back to see my sugeon until the following Wednesday morning. Is this too long for the sutures to be in? I'm worried about scaring where the sutures were placed.

Upper eyelid lift scars heal well

I have added a link that might be helpful...

Hi 6tta12a.  Without knowing the suture used and technique of closure, 10 days still seems long before having sutures removed. Call your plastic surgeon and let them check on your healing and address your concerns.  Fortunately, upper eyelid scars generally heal well and are well concealed within the normal creases of the eyelid. Be sure to ask about a good professional eye cream (Obagi, SkinMedica, etc.,) to help with fine lines around the eyes to complement your surgical results.  Best wishes!

Blepheroplasty and sutures

Typically I remove my sutures one week after a blepheroplasty invision.  I do place my suture intradermal, under the skin, and they are not visible.  Depending on the surgeons some may choose to place them more visible and smaller suture and choose to remove them sooner.
Generally speaking ten days is too long but again it depends on what kind of sutures and where they were placed in the skin.

Best regards

Nagi T Ayoub MD, FACS

Nagi T. Ayoub, MD, FACS
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Too long for suture removal

It sounds like you were going to be 10 days after your surgery before your sutures removed. It really depends on the type of suture placed. If the suture is beneath the skin then leaving it for 10 days is quite acceptable. If the suture is visible on the surface of the skin then 10 days may be too long. Your surgeon knows what's best for maximum a result.  Please trust his or her judgment.

Suture removal after blepharoplasty

Usually sutures after blepharoplasty are removed in 5 to 7 days, depending  on what technique or sutures were used. If a CO2 laser was used instead of a blade for excision of the skin, then sutures are often left in longer ( up to 10 days). 

Edward H. Bedrossian, Jr., MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Suture removal after blepharoplasty

Generally speaking, 10 days is a long time to leave sutures in the face.  Of course this depends on the type of suture used, and the suturing technique that was used for closure.  I typically leave the blepharoplasty sutures in for one week, and use a suturing technique that places the suture below the skin so there are no visible suture marks.  Surgical techniques vary between physicians.  

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Hello 6tta12a,

The choice of when to take the sutures out depends on your surgeon based on training and experience.  If you felt comfortable having this surgeon operate on you then I would recommend you continue to follow his or her instructions.  For my patients I take the sutures out at 7 days because I feel that gives me my best results. 

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty suture removal

We know nothing about your procedure and what your surgeon did or even the type of suture used. It is not a good idea to start second guessing your surgeon immediately after the surgery. You trusted your surgeon to do the procedure, trust your surgeon to take you through your recovery.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon