Am I having the correct treatment? (photos)

I had a tummy tuck and liposuction 3 weeks ago. I started to experience problems about 2 1/2. Area above incision is hard and red and now discharging a lot. I was running a low grade temperature and was put on antibiotics. Currently a little better but discharge amount is a lot more. Discharge is more of a watery brown color with no smell.

TT and problem

Thank you for your question. Please contact your surgeon immediately and ask for urgent evaluation. Meanwhile continue antibiotics.

Redness after surgery

Thank you for your question and photo.  You need to visit your PS office for a more close follow up.   The use of antibiotics is indicated in your case to prevent further complications.   Best of luck.  

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tummy tuck

Sorry to hear about your complications.  It looks like you have some skin necrosis and swelling as well as redness of cellulitis.  It its very important to know which bacteria is causing this and if you are on the correct antibiotic.  Also, it is important to determine if there is a fluid collection under the skin which may need drainage.  This could most likely be determined with an ultrasound or a CT scan.  I would ask your doctor about this.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photograph.  It is important for you to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have seeing as they know your medical history, anatomy and surgery best and every surgeon has slightly different post-operative protocols. I would continue your dosage of antibiotics and suggest that your doctor take a swab of the fluid to be tested at the lab to make sure you are taking the correct course of measure to treat your infection. You seem to have some necrosis which is skin that has died due to lack of oxygenated blood supply; this skin should be removed by debridement to prevent further infection from occurring. 
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Infection/Necrosis

The "things" that need to be determined are:1 - Is there a collection of pus/infected fluid under the flap? If so, it needs to be surgically drained.2 - Are you improving on the oral antibiotics or getting worse? If getting worse and no fluid/pus, you likely need IV antibiotics
3 - Has there been a wound culture and antibiotic sensitivities done yet? You need to be sure the best antibiotic is being used.4 - Are you treating the necrosis topically? We use silver sulfadiazine cream at this stage (it is a burn cream mainly)If a patient's course is worsening rather than improving, that is the most worrisome sign.Good luck in your healing.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Post-op infection and necrosis

Sorry to hear about your complications.  From what I can tell from the photo, you have some necrosis (dead tissue) and cellulitis (severe tissue infection).  You may need to be admitted to a hospital for IV antibiotics and possible debridement of the dead tissue.  Be sure to keep in close contact with your PS; especially if your condition gets worse and you start having fevers of over 101.