Afro Hair & Hair Transplant Available Options? (Photo)

I am 42 years old from an African background &I've thick curly hair. I've been suffering from hair loss for 6 years. I've used finasteride & minoxidil for 18 months, no re-growth during that time. I stopped using finasteride and minoxidil about 4 years ago & for the last 3 years I haven’t being using anything and my hair loss is at a steady rate. I never kept my hair short & I am aware of the challenges due to the curly nature of my hair and any advice would highly be appreciated

A good hair transplant doctor and team should have no issues with curly hair. Find a doctor and go get a consultation.

A good hair transplant doctor and team should have no issues with curly hair.  Find a doctor and go get a consultation.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

African Hair Transplant

It appears to be male pattern balding from the photographs you have supplied. Yes you can achieve a good result if performed by an experienced hair transplant surgeon. 

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

African American hair restoration.

You have 2 choices for your hair loss--!. grafts (transplants) or 2. The Fleming Mayer Flap procedure. The later does not transfer bade by blade as with transplants. It transfers the entire frontal area like sod. The hair doesn't fall out or change texture. If the hair is 3 inches long on the side it is 3 inches long in the front the next day and gives density that can not be achieved with transplants. This surgery must be done by a plastic surgeon skilled in this technique who can show you results. Investigate both before deciding. We do both so I don't have a financial bias.

42 year old with Class 4 pattern balding

The issue I see if what will be your donor supply to meet the demand of your recipient area. There is little doubt that you have enough hair for the frontal reconstruction, but will there be enough for the crown. See a good doctor to halp you with that decision

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Treatment for Afrocentric male with hair loss

The most important question is, what is the cause of your hair loss? While it almost certainly is genetic in nature (androgenetic alopecia, or male pattern baldness), you should also be evaluated for "CCCA" (central centrifugal cicatricial alopecia)--far more common in women of African descent, but occasionally affecting men, as well. The former condition is quite amenable to hair transplantation, while the latter generally is not. So, the best advice I could give you would be to see a dermatologist for a diagnosis. The good news is, if you have common variety male pattern baldness, as I believe you do, it appears you could expect to have a very nice result from a hair transplant. And just a word about finasteride and minoxidil: these drugs don't always result in regrowth of hair, but (especially finasteride) they can slow or stop the progression of the balding process. So if you look in the mirror five or ten years from now and "don't see any difference," that could mean the medication is working. :)Thanks for your question--hope this was helpful.Dr. Ballon

Jonathan Ballon, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon