One year post op septorhinoplasty, still can't breathe right. What's wrong? (photos)

I went in to see an ENT surgery for minor breathing issues. He attempted to fix them along with a rhinoplasty, but made my breathing worse. My nose also looks deformed. When I push in on the tip of my nose I notice that breathing is A LOT easier. I have to wear breathe right strips when exercising as I can not breathe correctly without them. This has been the norm for a year now. Humid weather makes it impossible to breathe as well. Fixable?

Breathing issues post septorhinoplasty

Many of the concerns that you have mentioned are able to be corrected with a revision rhinoplasty.  I recommend consulting with an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.  He or she will be able to address each of the issues that make your nose look, as well as function, less than ideal.

Worse Breathing After Rhinoplasty

Thank you for sharing your concerns and photos. I would recommend you discuss this further with your surgeon to determine what he feels the cause is and if he thinks it will improve. If you are still dissatisfied, then I would recommend a consultation with someone that is comfortable with revsion nasal surgery. He/she should be able to give you options to improve your breathing condition and meet your aesthetic goals. I am sorry you are having so much trouble since surgery. Hope this helps. Take care.

Robert Brobst, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breathing problems after septorhinoplasty

First, sorry to hear that your issues are worse after a functional surgery. Second, there are a number of options available to you to address your concerns, but they would all require a revision surgery. I would recommend visiting with a revision rhinoplasty surgeon. After an in person evaluation, they will be able to go over in more detail what can be done. 
Best of luck

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breathing Obstruction after Rhinoplasty

Unfortunately you will need a revision to correct the tip asymmetry, nasal deviation, and inverted V deformity. The are multiple possible causes of your breathing obstruction which should be corrected at the same time.

Nasal obstruction after rhinplasty

Hello.  Unfortunately, worse breathing is an uncommon complication of a surgery that was intended to improve your breathing.  There can be several factors that can explain your symptoms , ranging from persistent deviated septum to enlarged turbinates, to valve incompetence.  The best thing is to see your surgeon, or another rhinoplasty expert for an in office exam in order to identify the reason for your problems.  You may need a revision rhinoplasty to fix your problems.  Take care.

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty and functional nasal surgery

A revision rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish shaving down the dorsal irregularities and realigning the nasal bones to improve the inverted V deformity present. There are many issues on the inside of the nose that can cause breathing difficulties such as a deviated nasal septum, valve collapse, turbinate hypertrophy, allergies, and chronic sinusitis. Each one of these issues are treated differently with medications or surgery. Best to try medical management first with nasal sprays, antihistamines, decongestants before undergoing surgical manipulation for breathing. Functional nasal surgery can be performed same time as a cosmetic  revision rhinoplasty procedure. For more information in many before-and-after results of rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

Nasal obstruction after Rhinoplasty, Septoplasty

Thanks for you post. An in-office examination can determine the nature and possible causes associated with your persistent complaint of nasal obstruction after surgery. Many minor factors may be contributing to the cause. You may still have a deviated nasal septum, despite surgery, due to memory of the cartilage or swelling. Additionally, you're using the "nasal dilator" suggests that you may have some nasal valve collapse or weakness of the nasal cartilages. Wearing of the Breathe-Right Strips goes along with this diagnosis as well. Finally, worsening of symptoms with humidity suggests that you may have inferior nasal turbinate enlargement.Fortunately, all of these possible causes can be fixed with appropriate medical therapy and/or surgery. Please see an experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon for recommendations. Your dorsal bone fullness or callus can be corrected at the same time too. Best Regards. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon