Would I be a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck vs a full tummy tuck? (photos)

I'm not looking to get a perfect belly-just would Like to get rid of some of the extra skin below My belly bottom. I'm wondering if I could get away with a mini tuck?

Mini Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

From your photos, you appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck with Vaser H definition liposculpture to your hips and back.  You should get a great result from liposculpture, giving you a more contoured and hourglass shape with better projection to your buttocks.

Vaser Hi Definition liposuction uses the concepts of negative and positive spaces in relation to the underlying bony and muscle anatomy to define areas such as your six pack and create an athletic looking physique.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Full TT vs Mini TT

I don't believe you will be happy with a Mini TT. You're a better candidate for a full TT to remove the excess skin and tissue above your belly button. In my hands, extra effort is made in creating a "cinched" waist by plicating your lateral muscles as well as your anterior muscles in a full TT. Obviously, if you're not looking for "perfect", then a Mini might just do the trick for you. A mini is also less involved so the recovery will be much quicker. I hope this helps.  

Kindest, 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Would I be a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck vs a full tummy tuck?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Specific/meaningful advice would necessitate an in person evaluation;  complete history/ physical examination/discussion of goals/expectations will be necessary. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results.   When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.   You may find the attached link and video, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes. 

Wanting to remove extra skin below the belly button

Hello, a mini tummy tuck can effectively remove loose skin from the lower abdomen, and it can be done along with liposuction to improve the contour of the entire abdomen.  You could learn more about the operation by seeking a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Full TT

most woman with the amount of skin laxity both above and below the BB will be unhappy with the results from a mini TT and lipo. While the result from that procedure can be good on the right patient, in your case I doubt you will be happy. 

The different types of #tummytuck

During a consultation, a PS will evaluate your skin laxity and subcutaneous fat. Without that physical exam, it is difficult to determine specific recommendations and outcomes. There are trade offs between liposuction, mini tummy tuck and regular tummy tuck. These trade offs include cost, end result, down time, length of incision and pregnancy plans.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

This question gets asked a lot in this forum. What most people really mean by a mini tummy tuck is a short scar tummy tuck versus a long scar tummy tuck. With a short scar tummy tuck, you can still tighten the muscle, but you cannot take out very much skin. There are also options to combine liposuction and a skin excision. 

The answer to your question really depends on how much loose skin will be present. Any patient can have a short scar, but they may not end up with a flat stomach and may still have some skin laxity especially when sitting or bending over. From your photos, I suspect that you will need a longer scar to achieve a pleasing result.

Tummy tuck + Lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

In this regard, I'm totally agree with you, therefore i recommend you a Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Depending on your expectations, a combined liposuction and mini-tummy tuck may give a good result but a full TT is likely to give a better result. An in person evaluation will help.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

You need a full tummy tuck

Answer is no.  Mini tummy tuck will not work.  Do a full tummy tuck or nothing at all. Liposuction alone is sometimes considered in situation such as yours. See a plastic surgeon in your area.

Vasdev Rai, MD