Tummy tuck options for loose skin above the belly button?

During a complicated twin pregnancy I developed excess skin and stretch marks above and around my navel only (none on my lower abdomen). I've gone in for only one consult during which I was told they would only pull the skin down moving my stretch marks from the top of my stomach to the bottom. I have a feeling there has to be different options for my situation that someone would help me with, possibly a midline or reverse tummy tuck. I am 5'1 and weigh 100lbs (thin with no excess weight).

Tummy Tuck options for loose skin

Thanks for your question.  It is really difficult to remove stretch marks above the belly button even if you place the scar higher.  This is possible, but you have to keep in mind that will leave a pretty visible scar.  I would not generally recommend this.  Best of luck. 

Reverse Tummy Tuck

A ‘reverse’ tummy tuck is an excellent approach to this problem. The incision is
hidden within the inferior breast crease. At the midline, an inverted “V” is
used to decrease the straight line scar. The upper abdominal musculature fascia
can also be tightened at the same time, if there is weakness and laxity after
the twin pregnancy.

Stephen M. Krant, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

In your particular case and based on your story, we would recommend a full tummy tuck with an incision made on the lower abdomen, below the bikini line in order to be hidden, then we will recommend the abdominal muscle repair in order to flatten the abdomen. With this procedure, you will remove any extra skin from the lower abdomen and the stretch marks locate don the upper abdomen will end up being on the lower abdomen area. This procedure can provide the best results, mostly after having twins.

Salvador Pantoja, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. If you are an appropriate candidate, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for your question. TT is mainly to remove excess skin and tighten the lax muscles. Pictures will help in your case. If you have only loose skin in upper abdomen with stretch marks reverse TT can be done, which is not very popular for its own reasons. Please consult with other board certified PS for evaluation and to discuss your goals.

Tummy Tuck Options

As the uterus expands it permanently stretches and splits anything in its path. The muscles are stretched and separated and the skin is permanently stretched, cracked (stretch marks) and stretched resulting in some excess skin above and blow the belly button which results is the pouch, the sagging of the privates and upper thighs. The vast majority of women therefore benefit from muscle tightening done as part of a Full Tummy Tuck which would remove all skin laxity both above and below the belly button as well as most of the lower tummy stretch marks and lift the sagging mons. In a small group of women we do a reverse Tummy Tuck but the operation is usually done after the result of a Full Tummy Tuck or a Fleur De Lis vertical scar Tummy Tuck have not completely resolved the loose skin in the areas under the breast.   
You are fortunate to live in a city with great surgeons. I would visit a few of them and see what each has to say. 
Dr. Peter A. Aldea
Memphis, TN