Would it be best to have Tummy Tuck and Breast Implants at the same time (Mommy Makeover) or to separate the procedures? (photo)

I understand the recovery of both procedures. I am a healthy 34 year old mother of two young children (done having kids) and workout 5 times a week with a very saggy belly button and tummy and absolutely no breasts left. I want very conservative silicone implants. I cannot have a TT until next January due to the recovery, and my husband suggested maybe do the BA this spring. I'm afraid to do both together but does it make more sense? I would like to do whatever is safest as well.

Combining Multiple Procedures in a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  #Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.

Mommy Makeover Surgery

It is common to combine breast and tummy surgery in healthy women who have had children. Potential advantages include reduced cost, one anesthesia and one recovery period. Combined surgery can be done safely in a licensed accredited surgical facility by an experienced surgeon and staff. Consult with an experienced plastic surgeon who is certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn about your options and good luck. 

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

You can easily have both procedures done safely, it is done all the time. It is up to you and how much help you are going to have during recovery. A lot of people like the idea of one recovery and discounted price of having two procdures done at once. If you know you cannot be down for the time needed to recover from both surgeries then splitting them up is fine too.  

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Combining Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation

You appear to be a great candidate for combining the procedures. This will give you just one recovery with very similar restrictions for exercise. For women who workout regularly, that is frequently the hardest part of the recovery! My patients find the breast augmentation recovery much better than they anticipated.  It is really a personal preference then...do you want to enjoy the results of breast augmentation now while waiting for the Tummy Tuck, or is it better to do it all at once? Only you can know for sure. See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can show you lots of photos of their patients who have done this same thing. I have many patients who have done them separately as well as together. Best Wishes

James A. Hoffman, MD
Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon

Combining is fine, but 2 separate procedures is ok too!

A single recovery is great, but doing it in 2 stages if fine too.  Have you spoken with a plastic surgeon yet about the recovery?  You may find that your perception of the recovery may not be as bad as you think.  That might alter your plans as well.  Typical recovery for a tummy tuck (for my patients) is 2 weeks of lifting restrictions (no more than 5 pounds).  That's the same for breast implants as well.  If you give yourself the time to recover, most women are back to their usually routine within 2 weeks.  As for exercising, I encourage walking the day after surgery, but you likely won't be back to a vigorous workout for 4-6 weeks. See a few surgeons in your area (the ASAPS surgeon finder is a great resource) and see what would work best for you.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Both procedures, one stage

Thanks for your pictures and for your inquiry. Good job! Your abdomen looks quite well even though pregnancies, nevertheless the extra skin is impossible to address with exercise and diet alone. You are a healthy woman and you might have both procedures done at the same time, Please have an in person or virtual (Skype) consultation so you can discuss thoroughly all your concerns, options and expectations, good luck in your PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Would it be best to have Tummy Tuck and Breast Implants at the same time (Mommy Makeover) or to separate the procedures?

It's a good question and the answer really depends on your personal preferences. Tummy tuck and breast augmentation procedures are commonly combined (mommy makeover). The benefit is that there is one period of recovery, instead of two. Your surgeon will be able to provide exact recommendations, but I recommend that my patients refrain from heavy lifting and vigorous activities for six weeks after a tummy tuck with muscle repair. If you're excited to get the process started, then you could start your breast augmentation this spring and do your tummy tuck later. This would likely increase the costs somewhat, because the procedure would require two trips to the operating room with the associated operating room fees and costs for your anesthesiologist.

Good luck with the process!

Combo..

it is very common to do both of these procedures together, especially if you are healthy. it is more to recover from, but it condenses the recovery time, it is cheaper to both at the same time (especially in an office operating room). however, if you need shorter recovery time, then you need to split them up. if you are healthy and do not have medical issues, then either choice is fine for you. personal preference.

Mommy Makeover

Hello there,
Assuming you are in good health, there is no reason why a tummy tuck and breast augmentation cannot be performed together.  This is actually preferred by most patients.  This will put you through only one operation and one recovery.  If you are anxious to get the breast augmentation done right away, splitting the procedures is certainly an option.  It will most likely cost you more and take more time out of your schedule.  Whatever you decide, I am sure you will do great.

Larry Pollack, MD

Combining cosmetic procedures

As plastic surgeons we often discuss how to safely combine cosmetic procedures for our patients. Typically, if the combined operative time of the procedures you are electing to have done are 4 hours or less and you are an otherwise healthy person then you would probably be a great candidate for combining procedures. As you increase the time spent operating you start to increase risks related to this and are often counselled to stage your operations (or have them at different times) to help decrease your personal risk. 

Rachel Streu, MD