Tooth really hurts after crown

I got a crown about 2 years ago and these past few months I've been experiencing pain when eating sweet foods. It was a pretty big cavity and it hurts really bad. Was wondering if this is normal and should I go in and see my dentist? I don't want to be wasting time and moneynon something that's normal. The tooth is on the right, second to the farthest back (not a molar) and its on the bottom. Hoping someone could clarify if this situation is abnormal and if it needs any actual attention.

Pain in back tooth, 2 years post crown placement ... #DrSarahThompson

It's not normal to have pain in your teeth, 2 years after a crown.  I would recommend just going in for a check-up or consult.  Most of the time, the cost, just to check out a tooth that's bothering you is not more than about $100.  It sounds like their is decay involved in this tooth, or possibly a fracture of the tooth.  Whatever the case, the situation will likely only get worse, more painful and more expensive if you wait.  Good luck and I hope this helps.  Follow me on RealSelf if you have more questions. 

Sounds like a cavity

Sounds like you have a cavity under the crown.  Have you had a cleaning and xrays since getting the crown?  Are you doing proper hygeine?  If not this can lead to reinfection of tooth and possibly the tooth could need a root canal.

Joseph Proscia, DDS
Bonita Springs Dentist

Normal, pain, crown

Dear thatsjustgr8:

There is nothing normal about pain!

Your sensitivity to sweets indicates that there is decay in the tooth.  

Without X-rays and clinical examination, that is all that can be told from your story. Please go see your dentist as soon as possible.

No, it is not a normal behavior for a healthy tooth

This usually means that there might be caries underneath the crown.  Hopefully, it has not reach your pulp.  I would suggest that you go see a dentist ASAP to have it check. The longer you wait, the more likely you will need a root canal in addition to replacing your crown.

Jean-Paul Banh, DDS
Federal Way Dentist