Tooth really hurts after crown

I got a crown about 2 years ago and these past few months I've been experiencing pain when eating sweet foods. It was a pretty big cavity and it hurts really bad. Was wondering if this is normal and should I go in and see my dentist? I don't want to be wasting time and moneynon something that's normal. The tooth is on the right, second to the farthest back (not a molar) and its on the bottom. Hoping someone could clarify if this situation is abnormal and if it needs any actual attention.

Pain in back tooth, 2 years post crown placement ... #DrSarahThompson

It's not normal to have pain in your teeth, 2 years after a crown.  I would recommend just going in for a check-up or consult.  Most of the time, the cost, just to check out a tooth that's bothering you is not more than about $100.  It sounds like their is decay involved in this tooth, or possibly a fracture of the tooth.  Whatever the case, the situation will likely only get worse, more painful and more expensive if you wait.  Good luck and I hope this helps.  Follow me on RealSelf if you have more questions. 

Saint Louis Dentist

Sounds like a cavity

Sounds like you have a cavity under the crown.  Have you had a cleaning and xrays since getting the crown?  Are you doing proper hygeine?  If not this can lead to reinfection of tooth and possibly the tooth could need a root canal.

Joseph Proscia, DDS
Bonita Springs Dentist

Normal, pain, crown

Dear thatsjustgr8:

There is nothing normal about pain!

Your sensitivity to sweets indicates that there is decay in the tooth.  

Without X-rays and clinical examination, that is all that can be told from your story. Please go see your dentist as soon as possible.

Zev Kaufman, DDS
New York Prosthodontist

No, it is not a normal behavior for a healthy tooth

This usually means that there might be caries underneath the crown.  Hopefully, it has not reach your pulp.  I would suggest that you go see a dentist ASAP to have it check. The longer you wait, the more likely you will need a root canal in addition to replacing your crown.

Jean-Paul Banh, DDS
Federal Way Dentist