Make sense to have two different profile silicone implants?

I am 35, wear a size 34a (although the doctor said I should be wearing a 32), and have assymetry after years of nursing. One breast is an AA, and the other is a bigger A. A PS suggested the moderate profile 339cc silicone submuscular implant on the A, and a high profile 375cc on the AA side. I am concerned that one side will look more perky and more narrow than the other. I am looking for a natural breast shape, around a 34c. Is this is right approach by having two different profiles? Thank you!

We cannot know for certain, though it can make sense in the case of breast asymmetry to use different profile implants. The profile to base diameter can give more volume on the side needed with similar width, and might make up for the natural difference in the thickness of the breast tissue.

It is not uncommon to use different volume implants of the same profile. using different profiles is a bit unusual. We cannot comment on what might be best for you without a full set of photos. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Yes, sometimes it does make sense to use different sizes/profiles of breast implants

Thank you for the question. Although online consultants cannot be of specific help to you, I can tell you that, generally speaking, there are  specific patients who benefit from the use of different sizes/profiles of breast implants (patients who present with chest and/or breast asymmetry).   Obviously, the goal is to improve breast symmetry as much as possible, understanding that absolute symmetry is very rarely achieved.
 Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging)  as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice. 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.