I'm reading Coolsculpting and PAH being common. UltraShape is painless and has great reviews? Which would you recommend?

Paradoxical adipose hyperplasia with Coolsculpting

Good question Matt.  What you are referring to is paradoxical adipose hyperplasia (PAH), and is an unusual  situation in which adipose tissue actually increases at treatment sites.  The reported incidence of this condition is only 0.005%, making this an exceedingly rare event.  This condition is treatable through liposuction.  I would not let this very rare complication dissuade you from considering Coolsculpting as it is a very safe and effective option for non-surgical fat reduction. 

Cool Sculpting and PAH

Dear Matt, The occurrence of PAH in Cool Sculpting is 1 in 4000 based on their most recent publications from Zeltiq. It is a real but rare occurrence and what they do know is that it might be more common in men than women. With the being said, if it does occur it is treatable with liposuction. I believe the results with cool sculpting would be superior to Ultra Shape in my opinion. This is all contingent on if you're a good candidate for cool sculpting of course. Seek a consultation in your area overseen by a great medical practice with certified RN's who do the consults and make sure it's the right treatment for you! Best of Luck.

Getting great results with Coolsculpting, Vanquish, Venus Legacy, Exilis Ultra

The chances of PAH with Coolsculpting are very rare. For best results, I recommend a combination approach. With Coolsculpting, I recommend adding a combination of radiofrequency treatments like Vanquish, Venus Legacy, Exilis Ultra for skin tightening and with Z wave/Cellutone for skin smoothing in order to get the best results. However, for the best results with contouring and fat removal, I recommend VASER HI DEF, with ThermiRF and ultrasound. See an expert for a formal consultation. Best, Dr. Emer

Coolsculpting is the gold standard for noninvasive fat removal

PAH is extremely rare and shouldn't be a reason to not do the Coolsculpting procedure. PAH is about 1:10,000. There are minimal risks and over 2 million treatments with the Coolsculpting. There are much much fewer treatments with the Ultrashape. Side effects are related to the number of procedures performed and there will be rare side effects with any procedure.

Steven F. Weiner, MD