is this normal? I had gynecomastia surgery a week and a half ago and the first night my chest was completely flat.

But I forgot to sleep with that vest on and after that night my chest went back to the exact way it used to be before but I have been wearing the vest everyday for like the past 6 days.

Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery

It's still quite early in your healing. Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue.
The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.
Additionally, your doctor may place tape or foam over the incisions, which can be removed on day 3 or 4, before your first post-op appointment.
If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia changes

Congratulations on your surgery.  Its hard to say what is going on without some photos and an exam.  It is likely that you had some swelling that accumulated from not wearing the vest, but it could also be a fluid collection or some bleeding.  Any changes like that you should have your plastic surgeon evaluate in person.  Good Luck"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Is this normal?

Thank you for sharing your question. Unfortunately without a full series of photographs, or an in-person examination, it is difficult to offer definite advice.  I would recommend seeing your surgeon to voice your concerns.  Once a diagnosis is made a more appropriate treatment can be recommended.  In most cases this is normal soft tissue swelling as a result of your surgery and any liposuction performed, but it would be important to rule out discrete fluid collections, such as a hematoma or seroma.  Hope this helps.

Normal after gynecomastia surgery?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after gynecomastia surgery. Your surgeon will always be your best resource for accurate diagnosis, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance.  Once complications such as hematoma or seroma has been ruled out, then it will be your best interest to allow for at least 3 to 6 months to pass before evaluating the final outcome of the procedure performed.  At that point, it will be possible to determine whether  any residual "mass" is related to residual breast tissue or maturing scar tissue.  Treatment of course will vary depending on this diagnosis.  Again, key will be close follow-up with your surgeon and ongoing patience once acute complications have been ruled out. Best wishes.

Swelling after gynecomastia surgery

Thanks for the question Tyree.  Yes, this is normal.  The first question is whether or not your gynecomastia (or lipomastia) was treated with liposuction alone or an excision with liposuction.  The second treatment involves a surgical incision usually around the areola.  Compression is very important immediately after the surgery.  I will always wrap patients with a 6 inch Ace wrap immediately after the procedure to prevent the accumulation of fluid and blood within the pocket created by the surgery.  With you not having this compression for the first 24 hrs, it is possible you have an accumulation of fluid or blood in the pocket.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to assess this and drain it if present.  If this is just the result of swelling, unfortunately only time will improve the swelling with the use of a garment 24/7.

Swelling after Gynecomastia Repair

Dear tyree231, It is hard to determine what is going on without a photo. In our practice we have the patients wear the vest 24/7 for the first week, but that is different with each surgeon. I would return to your operating surgeon to have  them examine the area, you want to make sure that you are not having a complication, such as a hematoma formation. It is possible it is just normal swelling that will decrease as you heal (swelling tends to peak around day 2 or 3 after surgery, and then decreases from there). Good luck!