Natural Nose Surgery? (photos)

I would like to get rid of my small bump on my nose and have a natural shape to my upper nasal cartilage. Also making my left side of my nose easier to breath through.

Natural Nose Surgery?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Rhinoplasty may be considered for achieving a narrower nasal apperance, bump removal, and tip projection.

You appear to have an underprojected, bulbous droopy tip, along with a profile bump and a wide appearance. Consider consulting with several reputable rhinoplasty specialists so you could see what might be best for you. Thank you. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty for dorsal hump removal and septoplasty for breathing

A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump, narrowing the upper lateral cartilages and the nasal bones to give a natural result without any incisions placed across the columella. To narrow wide nostrils requires an alar- plasty.  Functional nasal surgery such as a septoplasty may be required to improve the air flow dynamics through the nose, but only after a thorough internal examination of the nose is performed to document what is causing the nasal obstruction.  Both functional and cosmetic nasal surgery can be performed together simultaneously under one anesthesia.  Cosmetic surgery is billed to the patient, while functional nasal surgery is usually billed to the patient's medical insurance, once medical necessity has been documented.  For more information and many before and after examples of rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

Open rhinoplasty for ethnic noses #plasticsurgery

An open rhinoplasty to address the dorsal hump and bulbous nasal tip cold also be combined with internal nasal surgery to help improve nasal breathing. Alar base excisions could be added to narrow the base of the nose.

Small changes can lead to significant improvement in both function and the physical appearance. Best to be seen in person.

Natural Nose Surgery?

Thanks for your excellent photographs and your question Maryann. Reviewing your photographs indicates that you are a good candidate for refinement of your nose according to the details that you requested.  Lowering your dorsal bump, refining your tip and possibly narrowing your nostrils would provide good balance in a natural way.  I recommend that you meet with several ABPS board-certified plastic surgeons or board-certified ENT/facial plastic surgeons in consultation until you find someone who gives you a sense of confidence based on their demeanor as well as before-and-after photographs of other patients.

Good luck and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Natural rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Natural Nose Surgery

Select an experienced rhinoplasty specialist so the changes provide a natural feminine result. Your nasal obstruction should be corrected at the same time.

Natural Nose Surgery?

Hello MaryannJasmine - Thanks for your question. To achieve your goals for your nose, a rhinoplasty surgery would be necessary. I would recommend that you consult with a specialist in ethnic rhinoplasty to make sure you have the best chance for a great outcome. You will need an exam, pictures taken, and rhinoplasty simulations performed to educate your surgeon and allow them to educate you about what is possible with your nose. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Natural results

Thank you for your question and photos. Rhinoplasty surgery can definitely obtain the results you desire.  To improve your breathing, you will likely need a medical septoplasty and turbinate surgery. Please see a qualified nasal surgeon that can address your cosmetic and medical needs.  Good luck.

Paul E. Goco, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon