Is my labia supposed to look this gruesome the day after labiaplasty? (Photo)

I had labiaplasty yesterday with a clitoral hood reduction. My vulva looks gruesome, to say the least. My surgeon assured me that swelling and bruising can be substantial the weeks following surgery, but I was not expecting anything like this. I am also worried about several bumps on various spots of the vulva.

One day post labiaplasty surgery

It is very
normal to have severe swelling and bruising the day after labiaplasty surgery.
The bruising is usually resolved by 2 weeks post-op; the swelling may take up
to 6 months post-op to resolve completely. That being said, your bruising is
worse than average. I would recommend you touch base with your surgeon so that
they can keep an eye on it. Cheers!

Post-Op Labiaplasty Healing with Intense Swelling

Swelling and bruising after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months while firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well. Best of luck to you!

Not Normal. See your doctor

I never have had this degree of bruising or bleeding after any labiaplasty surgery, and I can therefore say that it is never normal. You had a full trim with hood reduction, which I don't perform, instead I use a much less aggressive approach that recontours the labia using natural tissue. You probably have a hematoma which is a blood collection, which should always be surgically drained.

Is my labia supposed to look this gruesome the day after labiaplasty?

Swelling and bruising is normal after this type of surgery. This area of the body has a very good blood supply and therefore bleeding during the surgery is common. With that being said, you have more bruising and swelling that I typically see when I do this procedure, but many things can lead to increased bruising. For instance, NSAID or ASA use, alcohol, bleeding disorders, certain OTC vitamins, etc.

Is Bruising and Swelling Excessive the Day after Labiaplasty?

You should see your surgeon in person, as, from your photo, it appears you may have more than the expected amount of bruising and swelling. To read a labiaplasty patient's journal for a typical labiaplasty recovery, click on the link below.All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Am I Healing ok?

You should see your surgeon for evaluation.  I recommend ice packs applied to this area for the first week or two after surgery.  Good luck!

Swelling after labiaplasty

Hi MyraLeigh,

Looks like there is significant swelling and bruising after your procedure. I would encourage you to go and see your surgeon and have them evaluate you to make sure everything is okay.

Dr. Basile

Patrick L. Basile, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Very Bruised

Hello MyraLeigh,

This is more swollen than I usually see and much more bruised. See your surgeon to have him or her make sure all is well.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

OMG! YES- labiaplasty recovery area can look AWFUL during the first week

Unfortunately- yes, it frequently looks this bad. I looked carefully at your photo. I have performed ~ 650 labiaplasties, and the swelling ("edema") and discoloration ("ecchymoses") are what I frequently see in the first several days after LP. Since the tissue in this area contains no muscle (it is called "...loose areolar tissue") and since tiny capillaries/blood vessels frequently "ooze" in the day(s) after surgery, and since there is no tissue compartment barrier between your inner ("minora") and outer ("majora") lips, frequently the outer lips as well swell & discolor mightily.

My suggestion to you, and to all women who are concerned about appearance after LP, is definitely to communicate with your surgeon & send him/her in-focus, close-up photo(s) via text or as an email attachment, and ask their opinion.

Best wishes!

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

You looked very bruised and very swollen after your labiaplasty

This is far more than the average amount of swelling and bruising that I would expect to see after labiaplasty. A hematoma cannot be ruled out. If the swelling and bruising worsen, you should see your surgeon immediately.