Is it okay to inject steroids into the neck area?

I’m 8 weeks post- revision platysmaplasty and have already developed scar tissue in the top-central part of the neck. It’s lumpy and unsightly. At what point can steroids be injected, and what dosage is recommended to start? I have a very thin, de-fatted neck. The reason for the revision platysmaplasty was to correct a hollowing caused by excessive fat removal hat occurred following a previous surgery. Are steroids even advisable for me?

Steroids after platysmaplasty

the risk of steroid injections, is thinning of the skin. If you have thin skin and already a de-fatted neck, I would not recommend them.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ok to inject steroids now

Hello.  It's safe to inject scars at 8 weeks.  Your surgeon will be able to determine what dosage to inject.  Don't forget to massage the scars before and after steroid injections.  These scars may need several sessions before you're happy with the results.  Take care.

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Steroid injection after neck lift

In our practice, we routinely use steroid injections on areas of firm scar formation for patients, under the chin, around the ear, etc.  The dose is based on the firmness and size of scar, and is chosen by the surgeon based on his/her experience, as there's no standard dosing.  Most surgeons will start with small doses and increase as needed over time, so they can avoid the side effects (color change and skin thinning) as much s possible.

Reza Momeni, MD FACS
Summit Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift and Scarring in Neck -- Venus Legacy, Botox/Dypsport, Steroids/5FU

I suggest speaking to your physician as there are many options including ultrasound and radiofreuqency, botox/dysport and 5fu/steroid injections.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Post neck lift treatment

Thanks for sharing.  An in person exam is needed to make this decision.  Your surgeon should decide if a Kenalog (steroid) injection is needed to help reduce any scar tissue or induration.  If indicated it can be done 8 weeks post op.  Other treatments may include massage, warm compresses, and serial ultrasound treatments. Meet with your surgeon to decide the proper course of treatment.

Raymond E. Lee, MD