I got saline breast implants in 2004 and in 2010, my left breast had a capsular contracture. It was replaced. (Photo)

a few weeks ago my left breast started feeling uncomfortable and swollen I went back to my doctor and he said it is a capsular contracture grade 3 he told me to take singular and milk thistle and come back in 30 days I have taken it for one weekand my husband has been massaging it there hasn't been any changes it looks like getting worse it is sore and uncomfortable do you recommend I continue taking the singular or do you think I should think about surgery

Saline Implants and Capsular Contracture

#Capsular #Contracture is a condition in which the capsule around the implant thickens and squeezes the implant making it hard and often changing the shape and position of the implant. It is more common in nicotine users (e.g. smoking or nicotine patches or gum). Effective treatment of the capsule frequently involves completely removal of the capsule (capsulectomy), and occasional incisions in the capsule may be somewhat helpful (#capsulotomy). At times it is necessary to change the position of the implant, either above or below the muscle, depending upon the initial position, changing the #implants themselves and, on occasion, the use of Acellular Dermal Matrix (ADM) may be required to prevent continued problems. Although the published risk of capsular contracture is approximately 9-11%, in our practice it is somewhat lower after initial implant placement. Once capsular contracture occurs, the risk of problems with secondary surgery rises to between 25% and 40%. #Saline implants may deflate spontaneously. When the patient has significant #symptoms, complete or partial leakage of their saline implant, or concerns regarding silicone leakage, it is recommended that the implant is removed and exchanged. Frequently, this is performed on both sides depending upon the age of the implant. Capsulotomy or opening of the capsule may be required or frequently capsulectomy, which is removal of the scarred capsule, is #recommended to ensure adequate pocket dimensions. New implants may then be placed in the same existing position or may undergo a change of #placement frequently from submammary to subpectoral position and, on occasion, the other way around.A specific surgical plan to correct capsular contracture will have to be detailed by your board-certified Plastic Surgeon.

Thank you for your question and photo.  I think that you should continue to take the singular if it is the recommendation of your operating surgeon, but before thinking about a revision surgery, please speak with him or her about what you are experiencing.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Uncomnfortable and swollen breast 4 years after implant replacement

At this point having taken singulair for 1 month without response, I think you will need surgery. The swelling suggests that there may be fluid around the implant, but without surgery your problem will not resolve.  I would discuss your options with your surgeon, and some kind evaluation preop including mammagram and possible ultrasound.