I have one eye that has never seemed as "open" as the other. Is there a non surgical way to improve this issue? (Photos)

It was noticeable in my youth, but as I age and my upper eye lids are losing elasticity it is becoming more pronounced. One photo is me at 19 and the second is me at 47. There is no difference in the eye sight of the more closed eye and by using a finger to "push up" the skin just above my eyebrow on the more closed eye - the eye lid looks corrected. So it seems to be a muscle or skin issue. However, I'm curious if there is non surgical option to achieve some better symmetry.

Doctor Answers 2

Eyelid and eyebrow asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. Based on the photos provided, the right eyebrow is lower than the left eyebrow.  This can cause the eyelid to droop giving the eye the appearance of being more closed or smaller.  Botox can be used in select cases to either raise or lower the brows.  Surgery can also be performed when indicated to improve brow symmetry.  An in-person consultation with a specialist would provide you with the best treatment options. Good luck. 

Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid and eyebrow surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is possible to use botox on the higher side of your forehead to get that eyebrow to drop a little bit. However, I strongly recommend that you not rule out surgical solutions. Your right eyebrow droops. This is something that can be corrected with surgery. Find a board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or occuloplastic surgeon and get a consultation. Do NOT go to just anyone for your botox, as your case is not straightforward  and you need someone with good experience.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.