I have an extra fold in my breast before implant. What is the chance of the implant to fall into that fold?

I am 50 years old and am thinking of having a breast augmentation. My concern, I have an extra fold underneath my breast that has been there for 20+years and I am worried that the weight of the implant will open the fold and the breast implant will fall into the fold and make the implants uneven. What is the chance that this may happen? My main reason for implants is because of even breasts. Thank you

Fold and breast augmentation

I fully understand your concerns about the fold in the lower part of the breast. This would require full evaluation and it may be that you need a lift procedure with the augmentation. Generally the nipple will drop with time and one will get extra folds under the breast as a consequence. Doing a simultaneous lift will help enormously and give you a more even results. Photographs would be most helpful to give you more object advice. 

Thunder Bay Plastic Surgeon

I have an extra fold in my breast before implant. What is the chance of the implant to fall into that fold

Thank you for your question. Without seeing picture it is hard to comment. I recommend you consult with a board certified PS for evaluation to discuss your goals.

Breast Augmentation

Hi DSteen,  It is really hard for me to say for sure without a photo.  If you want to call my office and send us a photo, I can review for you.  Many patients have double folds.  Usually we recommend the dual plane for this.  Sometimes we do the armpit/axillary incision for this also.  The video below explains the dual plane internal lift.  I also attached an article from a peer-reviewed journal to give you an even better idea.  I believe the dual plane and implants will do it for you. Be sure to seek a consultation with a BC PS to be sure and who does several hundred breast augmentation patients annually since you need a PS with experience for the extra fold. All the best, “Dr. Joe”

Breast contour issue prior to augmentation

Having a photo of the "extra fold" would be quite helpful, as there are a number of things that can cause a contour irregularity in the breast itself or in the upper abdomen underneath the breast.  Plastic surgeons are very used to having patients present with asymmetries or contour irregularities that need to be addressed during surgery.  Selecting a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and discussing your "extra fold" will help to diagnose why you have the irregularity and what might be done to correct it.  It is unlikely that an implant would "fall into the fold" however, because any contour abnormalities would be addressed with the original surgery.  Therefore, don't let your "extra fold" stop you from seeking an opinion about breast augmentation if this is something you are interested in! Good luck!

Fold under breast? Possible augmention?

Thank you for sharing. A fold under the breast could be several things. You need to seen in person by a board certified plastic surgeon who can correctly assess you and guide you in your options. A picture is very helpful but only an in person physical consultation and exam is the standard of care to make decisions. Best wishes!

FOLD

Without a photo it is very difficult to respond to your issue.  Maybe the extra fold can be closed off at the time of your procedure.  I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Please resubmit your question with photos.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Contour Irregularity Concern

Thank you for your question. It would be difficult to advise you specifically about your concerns without photos or an in-person exam. Your concern may be something that your Plastic Surgeon can address/correct during surgery. After meeting with you in person they will be able to provide meaningful feedback and let you know how you might proceed.
All the best

Uneven fold

I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing all your concerns. There are ways to tighten the lower fold to hopefully avoid the implant sagging down lower than the opposite side. Also, I would  not choose a large and heavy implant which would be more prone to sagging.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry

Thank you for your question. It is very common to have breast asymmetry. It is impossible to assess your situation without an actual consult. I would recommend that you have a personal consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. At your consultation your surgeon will be able to address your concerns and provide you with a plan to achieve your goals. Best of luck, Dr. Kludt. 

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon