Do I have gynecomastia? (Photo)

They feel a bit rubbery and soft... no puffy nipples, I've had them all my life, could it just be fat?

Doctor Answers 12

Do you have gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

About Gynecomastia and the Treatment Options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Do I have gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have the classic presentation of severe gynecomastia. Surgery is the treatment of choice. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in gynecomastia surgery, has great photos, and is an expert in male breast reduction.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 317 reviews

Yes you do

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Yes it appears that you do.  It is hard to determine if it is true gynecomastia with excess breast tissue, or more from being overweight and having extra fat deposits.  It is likely a combination.  See a plastic surgeon after you have lost some more weight.  good luck
"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello, thanks so much for your inquiry and for your pictures. Although you have gynecomastia it is complicated with you being overweight. I recommend that you lose as much weight possible until you reach a healthy weight. Afterwards surgery would help you achieve the look you desire.  Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 257 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello,  thank you for your question and photo.  Your condition is called pseudo-gynecomastia and it is localized fat deposit. Obesity is the most important factor for pseudo-gynecomastia. Treatment consists in liposuction of the chest area and it can be accompanied by the mammary gland development.  You need to have a in person consultation with a certified plastic surgeon in your area.  

Derby Sang Caputo, MD
Dominican Republic Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 99 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello. Thanks for your question and photo. By looking at your photo and not examining you in person, it does seem that you have excess male chest and breast tissue--gynecomastia. There is a surgical treatment for this--liposuction and removing breast tissue. I would first, however, recommend weight loss. Patients do much better with an elective plastic surgery procedure when they are closest to their ideal weight. Based on your photo, it seems likely that you would need to have some skin cut and tightened. This would best be done at a safe and sustainable weight. I hope this helps and I wish you the best!

Do i have gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Most certainly yes, you do have gynecomastia.  Predictably, it is a combination of fat and breast tissue.  You also appear to be very overweight.  Losing a significant amount of weight would help you go through surgery -- but you will only see a slight reduction in the size of your breasts.
Would strongly recommend you consult a plastic sureon in your area who has significant interest and demonstrated expertise in the treatment of gynecomastia.  And, if there is no-one in your neighborhood, consider traveling for such expertise.
For further info, check out my website (captioned below) which is solely devoted to gynecomastia.
Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACSNew York City


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have gynecomastia. Your issue however is complicated by obesity. Treatment for your situation needs to include diet , exercise and potentially additional surgery to control your weight prior to any attempt to deal with your gynecomastia.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.  Without an examination, it is difficult to tell if it's gynecomastia (gland tissue) or pseudogynecomastia (just excess fat).  Regardless, you are likely a candidate for male breast reduction surgery.  I recommend you have a consultation with a local plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.