Is this gynecomastia or something else? (photos)

I had multiple consults to have this procedure. . They said it was and would only involve excision of the glandular tissue. They evaluated now at a higher body fat percentage but wold like an opinion based offor of photos of when I was very lean. I just don't want to make the wrong choice. .. any advice would be much appreciated. . Thanks!

Gynecomastia, male breast reduction, liposuction.

Thank you for your question and pictures regarding gynecomastia. In your situation, more pictures and a thorough physical examination would be optimal. However, based solely on these pictures and a short history, I would suggest gynecomastia VASER liposuction alone. I believe with the VASER liposuction machine alone, your male breast glandular tissue can be removed successfully. Based on your pictures I do not see any need for an incision to remove glandular tissue. Even if it is male breast glandular tissue, the VASER liposuction machine can remove it. In addition, the VASER liposuction machine can also remove surrounding male breast fat.

Thank you for your question regarding gynecomastia and the treatment of gynecomastia. If you have any further questions regarding gynecomastia or male breast, please contact my office.

Sincerely, Dr. Katzen.

Is This Gynecomastia

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect men of all different body types. According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. 

About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Gynecomastia in men can be skin, fat, or gland related

It appears that you have some asymmetry in the chest wall on the left from your photo. The best thing would be to examine this in person to determine whether this is just loose skin in the area or there is an actual fat or abnormal gland deposit. Seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Gynecomastia can occur in various degrees bilaterally or unilaterally, both men and women have breast tissue composed of fat and glandular tissue depending on your percentage body fat. Liposuction works for the fat portion only and excision through the areola is recommended for the glandular tissue, typically done together unless patients have very little body fat.  Congratulations on your remarkable body shaping with diet and exercise, that takes an incredible amount of discipline.  It may be best to do the procedure when you are close to ideal to be sure to remove all the glandular tissue

Very hard to tell from those pictures. This really needs a hands on visit from a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in the procedure. In some views it appears to be more of a skin issue than anything else. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

To begin with, wow you are in great shape! If your referring to that small area of excess tissue on your left chest wall, it will likely be treatable with either liposuction alone or a direct excision of both skin and fat. You will need an in person exam for a better answer.

David Shifrin, MD