Do I have gynecomastia? (Photo)

I have huge man boobs but no puffy nipples and my testasrone is fine.

Doctor Answers 8

Do I Have Gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi slimfollower,
Thanks for the post and photo. Though you may not necessarily have puffy nipples and abnormal testosterone, your chest is quite large. It would be important to know what your height and weight are as well. Based on your photo it appears that not only do you have excess tissue, you also have excess skin and low positioned nipples. I recommend you seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation.

Dr. Dadvand

Do I have gynecomastia? (Photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Without actually examining you it's difficult to know how much of the tissue is gland and how much is fat but based on the photos is does appear as though you have significant gynecomastia. This can definitely be corrected with a surgical procedure but you will likely need incisions beyond the areola to remove the excess skin. The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon near you to see what your options are. Best of luck! 

Types of Gynecomastia & Treatment Options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in boy between the ages of 12 to 15 years old and older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. This type of Gynecomastia takes about one to two years to regress on its own.
Pure Glandular Gynecomastia is seen more commonly in body builders and is caused by steroid use. Surgical removal of the gland is required for treatment.
Adult Gynecomastia – Fat deposits are apparent in the glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia is the most common. Doctors may recommend surgery for treatment of the condition.
Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.
Assymetric or Unilateral Gynecomastia appears in either one or both breasts at different degrees. In many cases one breast appears larger than the other. Surgery is a common treatment for this type of gynecomastia.
Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery
Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon in person, is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It appears from your pictures that you have true gynecomastia, but you may also be overweight enough that it is difficult to tell what component is fatty tissue vs breast tissue. Glandular tissue probably will change very little with exercise or weight changes. It is not usually a serious medical condition, but if you are concerned about the appearance I would recommend that you seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question and photos and you may not have breast tissue per say but clearly you have excess fat on you chest and diet and exercise would clearly be helpful

Dr. Corbin

Candidate for Gynecomastia removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
From your pictures, you seem to be a good candidate for gynecomastia removal surgery.
You should consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and decide on course of treatment if necessary.
I have attached a link to help you choose the best one for you!


Do I have gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Although you may not have puffy nipples, fatty breasts usually indicates lipomastia in which the breast the breasts are composed of primarily fat, versus true gynecomastia which is dense breast tissue. The procedures can vary, something lip-suction along is indicated while others require direct excision. 

Grade 4 Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello slim,
  You seem to have an excess of both skin and breast and will need some scars on the chest if you want your chest to be flat.  There are many plastic surgeons in your area who will be able to give you more detailed advice.  

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.