How to fix bond on front tooth from yellowing? (Photo)

I chipped half of my right front tooth which resulted in me having part of it artificially bonded. I've had this for 6+ years and the bond is yellowing which contrasts with my other teeth. How do I fix this?

Doctor Answers 3

Stained bonding #DrSoftTouch

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The composite bonding is stained and needs to be replaced. The problem with bonding is that it chips and stains over time and is really only a temporary fix compared to other options. For a more cosmetic solution that will last decades, I would recommend veneering the tooth. The best thing to do is find an experienced cosmetic dentist who will give you the results you desire. I hope this helps.  Click "save" under my name, if you'd like to ask me more questions in the future.  

Bonding, discoloration

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


At this point you can have the bonding repolished to see if the color match will become better.  However this is the main problem with bonding, over time it discolors depending what you eat or drink.  Tea, coffee, blueberry, black berry, red wine will effect the color of the bonding more than natural teeth.


Dr. Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Chipped and dark tooth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Great Question--The composite repair is old and stained--sometimes taking it off and replacing it with a brighter composite will be all that is needed--sometimes the tooth itself has darkened--this may indicate a dying nerve or a stained tooth. You may have options to bleach the tooth or cover it completely with a porcelain crown or full composite coverage. See an experienced cosmetic dentist--look at photos of their work to be sure that you'll be happy with the results--Good Luck

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.