Will face fill out again after 3rd masseter botox treatment? I'm a 26 year old female w/ bruxism.

In July 2015, I had my first injection of 25 units total. In October 2015, I had another 28 units total. I only noticed VERY subtle jaw slimming effect. I went to a new doctor who insisted on 32 units total for a third treatment the end of April this year. My face has dramatically narrowed & my cheeks appear sunken. I am really upset about this. Will my face fill out again to size before treatment if I permanently stop the botox? I read things online about it being permanent & that scares me.

Will face fill out again after 3rd masseter Botox treatment? I'm a 26 year old female w/ bruxism.

Thank you for your question. It will take 3-4 months for the effects of Botox to wear away. It will take some more time after the 3 months for the bulk of the muscle to return. Do not have any further Botox injections until the muscle has returned.

Botox for #bruxism

Dear hbruno13:

This effect will definitely reverse itself as the Botox wears off. If you would like to hasten the process, chew gum on both sides of your mouth on a regular basis. 

This does not mean you can never have Botox again for your bruxism. The doses you have had have not been at all high, but perhaps when and if you resume your doctor will want to start with a lower dose, and/or space the treatments farther apart.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Botox and bruxism

The effect of Botox is temporary. It will take some time for the masseter muscles to go back to their original size. You might consider getting fewer units of Botox injected and seeing a dentist to provide you with an occlusal guard to help with your bruxism.

Valentina Lyssova, DDS
New York Dentist

Botox and Masseters

If botox is stopped then the jawline will rebuild itself.  I suggest you see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

In our recent study comparing Xeomin to Botox, we found them identical in onset and duration.  However we were surprised to find the duration averaged 3 to 4 months and one lasted 7 1/2 months!  

Muscle atrophy is usually temporary.

It might be prudent allowing return of your symptoms and treating with a much lower doses, 6-12 units working up to alleviate symptoms.

Luis Villar, MD, FACS

Botox for bruxism

Thank you for asking about your Botox for bruxism.

• Botox effects are temporary - unless a very large amount is given over time.
  • The muscle extends from the cheek right down to the jaw -
  • So the dramatic effect you have seen may well be from the Botox but is unusual.
  • The difference of 4 units is not much.
  • It can take six months to see the most muscle atrophy -
  • Your dramatic response may be from needing a fair amount of Botox in a short time.
  • My patients with bruxism can feel the effects wear off - and get pain or jaw clenching.
  • So before having more, wait for your symptoms to return.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS