Will face fill out again after 3rd masseter botox treatment? I'm a 26 year old female w/ bruxism.
Doctor Answers 6
Will face fill out again after 3rd masseter Botox treatment? I'm a 26 year old female w/ bruxism.
Botox for #bruxism
This effect will definitely reverse itself as the Botox wears off. If you would like to hasten the process, chew gum on both sides of your mouth on a regular basis.
This does not mean you can never have Botox again for your bruxism. The doses you have had have not been at all high, but perhaps when and if you resume your doctor will want to start with a lower dose, and/or space the treatments farther apart.
Botox and bruxism
You might also like...
Botox and Masseters
Muscle atrophy is usually temporary.
It might be prudent allowing return of your symptoms and treating with a much lower doses, 6-12 units working up to alleviate symptoms.
Botox for bruxism
- Botox effects are temporary - unless a very large amount is given over time.
- The muscle extends from the cheek right down to the jaw -
- So the dramatic effect you have seen may well be from the Botox but is unusual.
- The difference of 4 units is not much.
- It can take six months to see the most muscle atrophy -
- Your dramatic response may be from needing a fair amount of Botox in a short time.
- My patients with bruxism can feel the effects wear off - and get pain or jaw clenching.
- So before having more, wait for your symptoms to return.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.