What should I expect post-op labia majora reduction as far as swelling/return to work?

Swelling to be Expected Post-Op Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months while firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well. Best of luck to you!

Back to work in 48 hours is typical for labia majoraplasty

The labia majora are far less sensitive than the labia minora and the recovery rarely requires anything more than tylenol. You still need to avoid putting excess pressure on the area until the scars are healed.

What should I expect post-op labia majora reduction as far as swelling and return to work?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  As the pain from a labia majora reduction is often less than with a labiaplasty, most patients return to work within a week of surgery.  The swelling can be as much or more than a labiaplasty so it is best if you can allow for a few days of rest, pelvic elevation and cold compresses to minimize this side effect.  Hope this helps.

Labia majora reduction

I have performed this procedure several hundred times and have published the technique in medical publications and books,   Usually, the patients have less discomfort than a labia minora reduction. If your job is relatively inactive, you should be able to return to work in several days. Otherwise, up to a week if you are very active. Very few doctors perform this procedure, so be careful with your choice.
Gary J. Alter, M.D.Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

1 week

I would give yourself 1 week of recovery. Labia majora reduction has more swelling present than minora reduction and it may be more uncomfortable to sit. Standing for long periods of time will increase swelling. Best to have some ice packs handy that you can discreetly use throughout the day regardless. Just make sure you give yourself time to heal.

Post op expectations for majora reduction

Ms BigKitty:
Please see my answer to your other question. If you have made decision with your surgeon to have this procedure you really need to ask your surgeon about his experience and his results.   My patients have even less pain with the majora reduction versus minora reduction despite the fact the incision are much larger.  But my results are not your surgeons as I do NOT know their experience.  Choose your surgeon wisely and do NOT let location of a surgeon inhibit your from the best surgical experience.