Effects of PRP post a hair transplant?

I recently underwent HT (2900 grafts; front) and when I went for a followup visit a month later, the doctor 'recommended' 3 PRP sessions 45 days apart starting today. And one session of PRP every 3 months beyond that. Later, the PRP assistant separately told me with great conviction that PRP is responsible for 70% for hair transplant result to show up. Is PRP positively going to help with the HT Result? Are there any -ves if I don't do PRP? Is there any truth in this from your experience?

PRP and Hair Transplant

I definitely see great results when combining PRP with or without hair transplantation.  A new study is currently under way examining the results of PRP.  It has grown in popularity because of how much success it has with no down time.  Best, Dr. Green

PRP before or after HT

The short answer is YES! At Chao Plastic Surgery, we include pre-op or post-op PRP for free because we want our results to be the best possible. Before surgery, PRP can make the recipient scalp healthier and prepare it for the grafts. After surgery, we use it like "fertilizer" to improve graft take, growth and graft quality.

Though there are no definitive studies out there to prove that PRP works, my patients' results are my proof. In addition, females who are not candidates for hair transplantation who receive PRP often come back sooner and more frequently for PRP because they notice the results. They actually call us to ask for more PRP!

Jerome D. Chao, MD
Latham Plastic Surgeon

Effects of PRP

Thank you for your question.It has been my experience that PRP is helpful after hair transplants.For the best results, I would recommend 3 sessions scheduled about 6-8 weeks apart.I hope this helps.

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Effects of PRP

Thanks for your inquiry and congratulations on completing your hair transplant surgery.It is my experience that PRP after a hair transplant can be beneficial.I would advise that if you are going to do more PRP that you would do at least 3 treatments spaced about 6-8 weeks apart for the best potential results.I hope this helps.

Burton M. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

PRP, hair loss and transplantation.

Yes! Definitely do it. I would space the PRP over 6 weeks, first two sessions, then third at month 6, however the regime is fine. 

Follicular unit hair transplantation is know to be effective, however combing both methods (together with medical management) seem to be best. PRP after Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation can add growth factors, increasing hair density and also viability of follicles. 

As a stand alone for hair loss, PRP can slow down hair loss, and in some cases increase hair growth. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

PRP post transplant? ENGLEWOOD Cliffs NJ

In my opinion, PRP is, very effective  on hair that has been transplanted. I believe  the donor hair is not programmed to miniaturize and therefore the platelet growth factors are not encountering a genetic tendency. One thing to remember about post-transplant. The hairs that are existing will need to remain in order to get the best results. For this reason PRP Post transplant is a excellent addition. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon